From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abnormal spikes in the analog output in BNC 2110.

Before I talked about the problem, Let me briefly introduce the background. Basically, I applied a voltage across a membrane with a pore and measured the current passing through the pore (Resistive pulse sensing). Usually the current should be a flat current with a noise band around 200 to 300 pA if voltage is controlled by other DC power supplies (I tried two different ones and named them as 1 and 2)

Since I have to control it in real-time. So I used a DAQ board(PCIe 6321) and BNC board (BNC 2110) for DC analog output.

The problem is: when I used BNC board to generate DC analog output, the current measured is much more noisy (>1000pA, see attached pic 1 for comparison).

Then I compared the three DC output voltages (9 volt). I found out that there are lots of spikes in the output (See attached pic 2). However, when I plot all of them and did a spectrum analysis. It shocked me that the DC output from BNC board actually has a much better precision, and the smallest fluctuation and high-frequency component (see attached pic 3).

Does anyone know why? Greatly appreciated! (I am new in DAQ)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,445 Views)

Sounds like a question for a good Electrical Engineer, equipped with oscilloscope and knowledgable about impedance matching, proper grounding, and shielding.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,399 Views)

Thanks for the reply. But a good electric engineer is always hard to find.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,392 Views)

Well, if you have access to a library, you can probably find some textbooks.  Check the hobbyist Web sites.  Do a search for "Grounding and Shielding".  Look up "Impedance Matching".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,388 Views)