LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.11 Application Framework: Why doesn't 802.11 FPGA STA.gvi run when the 802.11 Host.gvi runs?

Hello, I have a fundamental question about the application framework logic that I can't seem to figure out.

I have looked at the FPGA Host Interface learning example and it seems that the required blocks for running FPGA code from the host are: Open FPGA VI, Download FPGA VI, Run FPGA VI, Read/Write FPGA VI, and Close FPGA VI. I understand how this example works, and how you can run in either deployed or simulation mode.

What's nice about this example is that you can edit the FPGA.gvi file and run the host file in simulation mode, and you don't need to compile the FPGA code (which is time intensive).

From what I've seen of the 802.11 Application Framework, all the same blocks are present and the logic (at the simplest level) should be the same. However when you run the 802.11 Host.gvi, the 802.11 FPGA STA.gvi does not run. I don't understand why this gvi doesn't run. Is the only way to implement changes in the FPGA to overwrite the pre-compiled build files?

My current objective is to implement a similar "deployed/simulation" option in the 802.11 application framework as the one that exists in the FPGA Host interface example. I'm new to this framework, so if that option already exists somehow please let me know!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,084 Views)

Hey lillyclark,

It sounds like you're approaching this from the standpoint of trying to explore and learn the program. I'd certainly encourage continuing this, so I'll give you a couple points to explore in the App Framework rather than answering your question outright. 

1.  Take a look at the Build Output of the 802.11 FPGA STA.giv in System Designer. Changing this between None, Bitfile, and Optimized FPGA VI will prove helpful. 

2. Take a look at the Open FPGA Reference.vi. The call stack for this should be 802.11 Host.gvi >> 802.11 Host Init.gvi >> 802.11 Open FPGA Target.gvi

The properties in these 2 locations should be useful starting points for tinkering with the settings at the root of your question.

Best of luck!

Sam R.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,022 Views)