LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.2.1 save for previous version

I have a few problems with Labview 8.2.1 "Save for Previous Version" for use with a computer with Labview 8.0.

1-Labview 8.0 does not see the VI (created by 8.2.1 that was saved for previous version 8.0) as an 8.0 VI.

it complains:

"The VI, last saved with LabVIEW 8.0, has been converted to version 8.0.  After a VI has been saved with LabVIEW 8.0 it can only be loaded by LabVIEW 8.0 or later.  Use Save for Previous Version... to save VIs for older versions of LabVIEW."

2-I can't Reset the History to zero.  The history resets only down to 1.

3-Save for Previous Version will not save only the one VI specified, it saves a bunch of VIs.  I have to pick out only the changed VIs and place them with the unchanged 8.0 VIs.  Is there a way to just save a single changed file as 8.0?

Are these problems that were fixed in later versions of Labview, such as 8.5.1, 8.6 etc?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,305 Views)

1. If you can actually open the VI, the conversion was a success. What you are seeing is just an alert and normal.

2. Sorry but I was never very happy with the History feature and once I started using real source code, never used it so I don't know what might be wrong there.

3. The save for previous will backsave all VIs in the hierarchy except those in vi.lib. You cannot selectively pick a VI. If you are working with both versions and might have newer ones in 8.0, you really need a true source code control program. Or, work in a single version of LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,292 Views)

No, the conversion was NOT a success.  The VI that was "converted" to Labview 8.0 is totally useless because it asks the operator to save when closing Labview.  There are two reasons this is unacceptable.

1-We have Labview code that the operator is not supposed to save a VI.  If he does this, the checksum of the VI will change which will result in the code refusing to run due to changed checksum.

2-We have Labview code that the operator has no visibility or access to.  A prompt requesting the operator to save a VI will not be seen and will hang up the Labview code from shutting down.  The operator will consider this as a code hangup and will be forced to reboot the computer.

In all cases, the computers running Labview 8.0 under Windows XP and are remotely located (another state).  We must be capable of making code changes with version 8.2.1 running under Vista.  The changed code must be loaded at the remote site and run with no operator prompts that would change a VI causing a checksum failure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,284 Views)

The conversion was a success - it just doesn't meet your definition of success. Smiley Wink This is, unfortunately, reality, so you will need to deal with it. This means that given your restrictions you will need to have a copy of LabVIEW 8.0 so you can open the VI and save it before shipping it out. However, it seems to me that based on your restrictions you'd be far better off making your changes in 8.0. Doing this would also eliminate the risk of you using something that's available in 8.2 but not in 8.0.

Message 4 of 15
(3,277 Views)

So keeping a copy of Labview 8.0 for an unspecified length of time means keeping one or more computers running Windows XP for an unspecified length of time.  Labview 8.0 will NOT run under Vista or Windows 7.  This also means the computers runing Labview 8.0 will no longer remain on out company LAN.  They are eliminating all computers running XP.

I will be forced to order fewer copies Labview 2010 upgrade.  Less money for National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,272 Views)

@Gaslight wrote:

So keeping a copy of Labview 8.0 for an unspecified length of time means keeping one or more computers running Windows XP for an unspecified length of time.  Labview 8.0 will NOT run under Vista or Windows 7.  This also means the computers runing Labview 8.0 will no longer remain on out company LAN.  They are eliminating all computers running XP.

I will be forced to order fewer copies Labview 2010 upgrade.  Less money for National Instruments.

You could use the included VM version of xp in windows 7 if you needed to, but it runs really horribly.

You could also keep a VMware image of XP on a computer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,259 Views)

The computer with Windows 7 or Vista running VMware XP would have a Windows XP on it.  Once again, that computer would no longer be allowed on the company network for security reasons.  If we have to keep a computer off the network running XP with Labview 8.0, it might as well be a real computer, not a virtual one.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,255 Views)

OK... so what's your question? Are you asking that NI change LabVIEW? That can't happen because you're talking about a version that's no longer supported. So, it seems that keeping a computer with 8.0 is your best choice. Sometimes reality bites, but you have to deal with supporting a deployed platform.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,251 Views)

I can accept that Labview 8.0 will never run on Vista or Windows 7.

I can accept that Labview 2010 cannot save as 8.0 because that is too many revisions back.

What I can't accept is a function in 8.2.1 that claims to save for 8.0 doesn't really work as advertized.  Maybe it should be called "Save for 8.0 to find out if you are using any features that 8.0 won't support".

Do you agree that the Labview 8.0 message

"The VI, last saved with LabVIEW 8.0, has been converted to version 8.0.  After a VI has been saved with LabVIEW 8.0 it can only be loaded by LabVIEW 8.0 or later.  Use Save for Previous version... to save VIs for older versions of LabVIEW."

is a totally bogus statement.  It is saying that the VI which was saved by 8.2.1 may look like a Labview 8.0 VI, but Labview 8.0 knows better, it is really not a Labview 8.0 VI.

I want to know what version of Labview, later than 8.2.1 fixes this problem.  Otherwize, if this "function" is not fixed, yet, I strongly suggest they get rid of it in Labview 2010 which we are upgrading to.  If it is not fixed, or removed, I will be taking this up with support instead of using this forum to get support.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,242 Views)

Are you sure the aren't using 8.0.1? You took advantage of a free update to 8.2.1. If I sent you a VI backsaved to 8.2, you would get the exact same message.

p.s. 2010 can save back to 8.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,236 Views)