LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5 digit multimeter precision ?

Hi All,

I have a DMM (Keysight 34465A) which has 6 and 1/2 digits of precision. Why when used with labview can we increase the number of digits to more than 6.5?

In the example shown in the screenshot I have changed the number of digits to 18! The meter is limits to 6.5 so where do they come from?

Thanks

Andy34465A digits of precision.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,515 Views)

The magic of IEEE 754

Most of the set of "Real Numbers" cannot be exactly represented in a 64 Bit floating point format. There are errors in showing them out to that many digits.  Your meter did not get more accurate.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,507 Views)

I think in multimeter land nowadays, they calculate the ENOB value (effective number of bits), then use this to calculate the "digits of precision".

For example, if the ENOB is 22 bit they calculate Log(2^22) to give 6.6 "digits".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,500 Views)

I wasn't intending to use 18 points, it was only an experiment to see how far it would go. I quite expected it to be filled with all zeros after the 6th digit. I find these errors quite misleading, especially if you are looking to average results.

In my case I was looking to get one extra digit, (7 digits) by averaging n samples. Without averaging anything I can change the number of digits to 7 and get a value but it appears its not the correct value.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,498 Views)

You can mean values to get some 'extra' digits... , however you migth gain some extra resolution, but rarely accuracy.

The possible accuracy is at least determined by the stability of the internal used reference. (LM399, LTZ..., ... ).

You will need a better DC reference to check, or a 8.5 digit voltmeter.. say hello to voltnuttery 😄

(IF the internal hardware is better than 6.5 digits, be shure it would be claimed...)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,465 Views)

Sure, it's misleading, but it's also not a LabVIEW issue.  For more info, check this link out.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,464 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

You can mean values to get some 'extra' digits... , however you migth gain some extra resolution, but rarely accuracy.

The possible accuracy is at least determined by the stability of the internal used reference. (LM399, LTZ..., ... ).

You will need a better DC reference to check, or a 8.5 digit voltmeter.. say hello to voltnuttery 😄

(IF the internal hardware is better than 6.5 digits, be shure it would be claimed...)

I don't know if you can even say, "rarely"  I don't think it's even possible at all.  You can't have an answer that is of greater accuracy than the least accurate of the measurements when processing data.  (In other words, rounding the answer is in order.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,458 Views)

Hi Bilko,

Could you fix the link the referenced, it just opens this page again for me.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,436 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

I don't know if you can even say, "rarely"  I don't think it's even possible at all.  You can't have an answer that is of greater accuracy than the least accurate of the measurements when processing data.  (In other words, rounding the answer is in order.)

Thinking back to my grad school days here...

You are not gaining accuracy, but are gaining confidence in a measurement.  On the surface, it sounds like the same thing, but it is not.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,427 Views)

@AndyTT wrote:

Hi Bilko,

Could you fix the link the referenced, it just opens this page again for me.

Thanks

Andy

Hint: It doesn't need fixing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,407 Views)