LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.1 v's 7.1

Hi, 

As I am new to LabView I would like some help and direction. 

We have , in house, LabView 7.1 which was upgraded from 6.1. LabView is not put to big use at this point in time so no plans to upgrade. 

If I understand correctly since we have deployment only for Test Stand on our test systems we must use either executables or DLL which are generated from LabView to be called from Test Stand. 

From what I see we have the VI’s and DLL files into which the VI’s are complied into. 

If I open a DLL and extract the VI, so far I have seen no problems, I am just having a look to see what is if I understand what is going on. 

Would that imply I have open all 7.1 or does in matter, will 6.1 VI’s open with 7.1 with no problem? 

If this is so, will all the VI’s I have run with 7.1 or will some translation be required? 

Thanks for the help 

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,765 Views)

QW123z wrote:

If I open a DLL and extract the VI, so far I have seen no problems, I am just having a look to see what is if I understand what is going on. 

I don't understand how you can extract a VI from a dll. This makes no sense. (Do you mean llb perhaps?)

LabVIEW 7.1 should be able to open and run all 6.1 VIs. Do you have any extra drivers or toolkits?

If you also want to run executables or dlls that were made in LabVIEW 6.1, you would need to install the 6.1 runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,756 Views)

@

I remember that a 6.1 built exe files could be renamed to a llb, and then it could be open like a any other llb. The diagram was stripped of course. I remember I found it funny, but with no practical use. I have not tested if for a long time, but I guess it is not true for newer Labview versions. Anyway since the diagram is stripped it can not be recompiled, and this fact may perhaps have impact on QW123z project

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,746 Views)

t06afre wrote:

I remember that a 6.1 built exe files could be renamed to a llb, and then it could be open like a any other llb.

Yes, I am aware of that. I have never tried renaming a dll to a llb, though. 😉

Quote: "...If I open a DLL and extract the VI, so far I have seen no problems..."

I would think that a missing diagram would constitute a "problem". I guess we have a language problem and need further clarification on what was meant. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,735 Views)

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick response. 

My apologies, you are correct they are LLB’s. I was thinking there are used like DLL’s as they contain a number of VI’s which can be called from Test Stand as required. 

Also I am confused as I see in LabView a DLL or EXE can be made from a VI but as yet I can not see how to get a new VI into an LLB file, early days. 

Also if I now understand you correctly if I do have a DLL or EXE made under 6.1 I need to find the original VI and build it in 7.1 environment into a DLL or EXE. 

Not sure about the drivers or Toolkits, but if I do I take it this might cause some issues? 

As I say I am new to LabView and trying to get my head around it !!! 

Thanks for the help 

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,732 Views)

You've made a couple of incorrect statements. First, you do not have to create a dll or exe in order for TestStand to call a LabVIEW VI. You should spend a little time with the TestStand manuals and read the chapters on how to use LabVIEW and how to deploy.

Second, if you have a dll (not LLB) written in 6.1, as long as you have the 6.1 run-time installed, you shouldn't have to do anything with them.

Third, in order to save a VI into an existing LLB (not DLL), just use the save as option and point to the LLB

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,692 Views)

Dennis, 

Thanks for the help. 

I am trying to understand how it all fits together and what I need to run Test Stand and Labview together will the least amount of installing on the test system. 

We have Test Stand 2.01 and 3.1 along with LabView 6.1 and 7.1. 

We are trying to get Test Stand 4.1 (or the most recent version) and LabView 7.1 and bring ALL the test systems to the same software levels. 

So all pointers welcome which this has provided. 

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,673 Views)