LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 VI on 2020 Labview problems

Solved!
Go to solution

So, I created a very large file in 2015, been working on it ever since. Then the hard drive dies and I didn't back anything up. I know, my fault, it super sucks. But now I have Labview 2020 and am trying to run this 2015 VI on 2020 Labview. 

It runs it....basically. Some functionality works, but it has a super hard time finding files in folders that I know are in the correct location on my computer.

Also, when I try to open the Block Diagram, there is nothing there but blank space or a few lines that look nothing like what I had created before. I bring this up because maybe this wasn't 2020 Labview's fault and maybe my file got corrupted when the hard drive died.

Or.......................maybe it is a Labview 2020 issue. Is it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,220 Views)

I've never heard of  LabVIEW 2020 having any problems opening LV 2015 files.

If it can't find files, then usually it will search for them and tell you what files it is looking for and where.  If you say the files are there, then it shouldn't have a problem finding them.  Unless they aren't quite there.

And if you have an empty block diagram, that really does sound like you might have corrupted files.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,204 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ShogunOrta

You are dealing with two different problems here.

First with respect to search paths: It is possible that your previous installation of LabVIEW had different search paths. These can be found under Options -> Paths -> VI Search Path.

Once the VIs are found, doing a Save All (ctrl-shift-s) should save the relinking in the VIs. If this doesn't work there are a few other options to try and get things relinked correctly. It is sometimes a pain, but I've never been able to not relink things successfully.

As for the block diagram... to be blunt, you probably made it too large. There is a maximum size you can make a block diagram... LabVIEW starts to exhibit unexpected behavior as you reach that boundary.  As the BD was converted from 2015 to 2020 there may have been cosmetic changes that caused it to grow and hit the size limit.

Extremely large VIs that overuse sequence structures and things are always an indication of poor software design. There are a few things you can do to try and get it back working into some semblance of a BD, but it's kind of involved.

In the end your best bet may be to either:

• Post your entire VI here and hope an expert takes pity on you (or is bored enough) to clean up your code the the point it will open fine in 2020

... or...

• Rewrite your program using a good design so you can more easily support and maintain it in the future.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,202 Views)

Yep! You're right. I took things for granted and thought that the file path would be the same going from one hard drive to the other. Found out the new path is quite different.

And yeah, I bet it's the size of the BD as well. Even in 2015 version it was starting to act wonky. Welp........ Nothing to do but try to shrink it down somehow and make the path changes. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,145 Views)

@ShogunOrta wrote:

Yep! You're right. I took things for granted and thought that the file path would be the same going from one hard drive to the other. Found out the new path is quite different.

And yeah, I bet it's the size of the BD as well. Even in 2015 version it was starting to act wonky. Welp........ Nothing to do but try to shrink it down somehow and make the path changes. Thanks guys!

Not really "try to shrink it down" as make some sane programming choices, like creating subVIs out of related code - just like you make functions in a text-based language.  Making a huge "uber" VI is like putting all your code into Main() in a text-based language.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,110 Views)