LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mindstorms 2.0 Color Sensor

I have used the NXT tookkits for LV 8.5 and 8.6. Neither of them have a vi for the color sensor. The color sensor runs and works using the Mindstorm software. Is there a VI for those of us who would like to program in Labview?

Attached: Picture of Color Sensor sold with the Mindstorm

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(11,241 Views)
A VI for this sensor is included in the new NXT Module that works with LabVIEW 2009.  
Mark
NI App Software R&D
Message 2 of 7
(11,222 Views)
Would it be possible for someone who has Labview 2009, to convert the color sensor vi to a Labview 8.6 or 8.5 so some students could use it?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(11,206 Views)
Unfortunately because this VI is part of a toolkit we cannot save it for a previous version of LabVIEW.  
Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(11,203 Views)

This is really a very poor excuse.  Many people have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on earlier versions of LabVIEW, as well as the new NXT 2.0 kit with the new color sensor.  To simply say that it is part of a toolkit, and refuse to release the color sensor VI for earlier versions of LabVIEW is a gross disservice to customers of NI and Lego.

Why can't there be an updated version of the Toolkit which includes the Color Sensor for earlier versions of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(11,170 Views)

EvilBosch wrote:

Why can't there be an updated version of the Toolkit which includes the Color Sensor for earlier versions of LabVIEW?

Without going into too much detail - providing support for older versions of LabVIEW with the new toolkit would have taken development time away from new features.  This also brings the NXT toolkit more inline with other new and updated LabVIEW Toolkits that only install into the version of LabVIEW they were released with.  

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(11,165 Views)

Hi there,

I have made color sensor block for Labview 8.5 version. It's pretty easy, I just changed the parameter from Light sensor block diagram. 

Do you still need it? I can upload here if you need that now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,606 Views)