LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a VI with NXT block to a project and create an executable file

Dear all,

I have a serious problem with the Lego NXT module for LabVIEW. I'm wrote a software for electrochemical measurements that has to inferface with a custom made potentiostat that is integrated with a microfluidic system, whose peristaltic pumps are moved by Lego NXT motors. Since the motors add mechanical and electrical noise to the measurements, I wanted to create a simple VI that could synchronize the motors with the measurements. I managed to do it, but when I create the executable file (the software has to run on computers that do not have LabVIEW installed, so I need to create a stand alone application to distribute it among the partners of this project) the VI that controls the motors do not work anymore and returns me an empty error message. 

I hope that the problem is clear.

Now, my question is the following: Can I insert a VI that controls NXT motors in a compiled application that has to run on any PC that hasn't LabVIEW installed?

Thank you very much in advance

Lando

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,904 Views)

Hi Lando,

Have you already installed LV run-time engine on the machine without environment? Which is your Labview version?

Regards,

Enzo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,902 Views)

Hi Lando,

I expect you wont be able to use the dual mode NXT API in a labview built executable because that API makes calls into private labview application instances that wont exist in the context of an executable.

However, you should be able to use the older NXT Direct I/O API (these are the VIs with grey icons). This API can not be deployed to the NXT, but it sounds like you aren't interested in that anyway.

The Direct I/O palette can be found at NXT Robotics:NXT I/O: NXT Direct I/O .

Note that with this API you will be responsible for creating and destroying handles(NXT Objects) to the brick.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,892 Views)