LabVIEW Web UI Builder and Data Dashboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format string and help

It seems that LabVIEW Web UI has a different format string syntax than LabVIEW (and C). I don't have any particular problems with that, but I would have appreciated having EXAMPLES provided in the help to understand how to use the new format. For instance, I am incapable of reading a simple float from a string.

Also, how do you access the help for a function in Web UI?

Thanks,

X.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,131 Views)

Hello X,

You are correct that Web UI Builder doesn't use the LabVIEW or C conventions. Being built on top of .NET/Silverlight, I believe Web UI builder uses the .NET conventions for string formatting.

You can get to the online help for Web UI Builder from the 'Welcome' tab that is visible when you first launch the editor. There is a link called Online Documentation that will take you to the table of contents on ni.com for Web UI Builder help.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373286A-01/

Here is a document that discusses string formatting:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373286A-01/uibuilder/wuib_format_specifier/

I hope this is helpful.

-Mike

Message 2 of 11
(8,128 Views)

Hi Mike,

thanks. I had found the help page (it can be opened from the Help link on the top right corner of the Web UI window). I was looking for the equivalent of the floating Help window in LV, which succinctly describes the function.

The web page you mentioned is what got me frustrated: it has no examples!

I eventually found out by trial and error that %f in C/LabVIEW is now {0:f} in LabVIEW Web UI...

On a related topic, if I understand correctly, if I want to read a series of numbers (array) from a string, I have to write my own "read array from string function"?

Any roadmap regarding all the functions which exist in LV not implemented currently in Web UI ?

Thanks,

X.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,125 Views)

Hello,

Are you specifically looking for the 'Spreadsheet String to Array' primitive available in LabVIEW? As far as the roadmap goes, it will largely be determined by user feedback.

Can you provide a little bit of background on what you're trying to do and which functions (in addition the one you mentioned) that you find yourself missing?

Thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,122 Views)

Hi Mike,

I managed to write a Spreadsheet String to Array VIx, although there are lot of funky peculiarities that make it quite different from LabVIEW.

A few things I am missing right now:

- Tranpose Array

- XY Graph

- Event Structure

- Front Panel Clusters

I was just trying to see whether I could implement some simple data processing and representation instead of having to send a 100 MB installer to colleagues interested in using my algorithms...

X.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,117 Views)

Hi X,

Did you manage to get something working that you're OK with, or are those missing features getting in the way? With regard to the Event structure, what are the specific UI behaviors that you want to implement where you find yourself needing it?

Sorry for all the questions, but this kind of information really helps NI understand and prioritize customers' needs.

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,114 Views)

I miss not being able to plot a XY graph. I can handle not having a transpose array function.

I can handle not having an event structure, but I'd like the VI to be able to respond to user actions (buttons pressed mainly) without having to poll then and create as many case structures as booleans I need to react to. I saw there were some events but I did not look into the way they are used. Apparently not using an event structure...

I understand this is a work in progress, so I am certainly not complaining. This looks like a great product in the making! I need to read the tutorials and examples a bit more exhaustively.

Best,

X.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,112 Views)

My bad. I found out how to create a XY graph.

A puzzling "feature" I discovered in the process: one can create an array of clusters ("points") and assign this as the output of a subVI but one cannot SHOW this as an indicator on the front panel of the subVI (since, again, it appears that clusters are not among the controls/indicators)...

LabDIVINE Web UI would appear a better name for it!

🙂

X.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,109 Views)

Where should we report issues or crashes? I just got this one switching skins:

Error Message:
    [ObjectDisposed_Generic]
Arguments:
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.0.51204.0&File=mscorlib.dll&Key=ObjectDispos...
[ObjectDisposed_ObjectName_Name]
Arguments: TODO
Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=4.0.51204.0&File=mscorlib.dll&Key=ObjectDispos...
Exception:
    ObjectDisposedException
Suggestion:
    Contact National Instruments to report this error
Stack Trace:
   at NationalInstruments.Data.Pipeline.BufferManager.BufferBase.GuardNotDisposed()
   at NationalInstruments.Data.Pipeline.BufferManager.BufferBase`1.get_Size()
   at NationalInstruments.Controls.Primitives.PlotArea.TimerTick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at MS.Internal.CoreInvokeHandler.InvokeEventHandler(Int32 typeIndex, Delegate handlerDelegate, Object sender, Object args)
   at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,105 Views)

Hi X,

Thank you for reporting this crash. I have passed it along internally and inquired as to the preferred medium for customer to provide us with this feedback. I will post back when I hear back.

Aaron P

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

http://www.ni.com/support

Message 10 of 11
(8,067 Views)