LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

developing labview code for any arm v7 board

Hi,

can i develop a labview code for arm v7 processors and target it on any arm v7 board. if it is possible what tools should i need to do this. i have heard that labview has support for arm v7 processors.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,766 Views)

Hello!

There are essentially two ways to port LabVIEW code to an ARM processor. The first is with an outdated module called the LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209852

If you choose this module, you will need to contact your local NI sales representative to request a copy. 

The other option, which may be more complex, would be to install the NI Linux RT kernel onto your ARM processor. Note that this is unsupported and may only work on specific ARM processors but it is worth a shot. Luckily, the instructions for compilation are clear:

https://github.com/ni/nilrt/blob/nilrt/15.0/KERNEL_SOURCE.txt

Off of the top of my head these are the only two ways with which you could use LabVIEW code on an ARM processor but there may be others. Feel free to ask me more questions about the above. 

Thanks for posting!

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
Message 2 of 3
(5,755 Views)

Option 2 is only possibile if the target uses a compatible ARM CPU A5 or A7 or similar, the M series likely won't do and any earliers families are definitely out of question). The NI Linux RT kernel can of course be compiled for any target, even non-ARM CPUs, but in order to execute a LabVIEW rtexe you also need at least the LabVIEW runtime installation and depending on your application most likely other libraries like NI-VISA, NI-IMAQdx, NI-DAQmx, etc. etc. and they are not opensource and therefore can't be recompiled for another target.

Also note that copying any of these modules to non-NI hardware has various licensing consideration. For instance for the LabVIEW runtime you will need to negotiate a per target license fee with NI.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,652 Views)