LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Panel HMI | Windows Embedded Standard

Hi everyone,

I've been doing many research on NI site but I still got some questions about running labview application on Embedded devices.

I developped a complete Labview 2013 HMI on Windows 7 and I'd like to run it on a non-NI touch panel running on Windows Embedded Standard. I have 2 ideas :

1 - My first idea was to get the Application Builder license to create an exe file, install the Labview 2013 Run-Time Engine on my touch panel and run the exe. But I discovered that embedded OS doesn't support exe file. What is the missing piece of my puzzle here to make that work?

2 - My second idea was to get the Touch Panel Module license instead of the Application Builder. The Touch Panel Module developing tools are not interesting for me in that case because my HMI is already developped using LabVIEW Base Development System only. However the TPC service to link my host computer to my embedded touch panel via TCP/IP is interesting. So I guess I have to install the Labview 2013 Run-Time Engine and the TPC Service on my embedded touch panel and I'm ready to go. After my application is launched from my host, can I disconnect it and let the embedded touch panel run on its own? Or even better : can I launch the application directly in my embedded touch panel without an host?

Your help would very appreciated to help me making the right choice.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,026 Views)

Hi AlexDarsigny,

You will need either the Touch Panel Module or the Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module (DSC). Either of these modules will allow you to deploy and install NI software to your touch panel. They also include many other features for developing those applications. You will also need a deployment license for any non-NI touch panel that you plan on deploying the applications to. The other software needed on the touch panel itself will include the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine and the NI TPC Service. The following link has some information on this:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618H-01/lvxpe/tpc_install_tpc_srvc/

Once deployed, the program will run as a stand-alone application that can be started from the HMI itself. Of course this depends on the functionality you create within the application, just like you would for any standard LabVIEW application.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,993 Views)

Hi DEDONN,

Thank you for your answer.

Now, let's forget about embedded touch panel. If I build a stand-alone application (*.exe) with the Application Builder feature, can I run it on any computer with the LabVIEW Runtime Engine installed. Otherwise, like the embedded touch panel, do i need to acquire a deployment license for every computer I want to run stand-alone application on?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,984 Views)

Some NI products and services require additional deployment licenses (see link below). If these are included in the build, or being deployed directly, then they will need to be licensed. If you are just using a licensed version of LabVIEW along with Application Builder, then you do not need any additional deployment licenses for the application or the Run-Time Engine.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9561/en/

David C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,976 Views)

Then, it's looking very good for my stand-alone application!

Let's go back to my embedded touch panel. I noticed that those deployment licenses seem to be made for hardware. For example, the deployment license #779708-01 from your paper includes a NI Touch Panel. If I run an application built exclusively with the LabVIEW Development System and containing no hardware, do I still need a deployment license for every non-NI touch panel I want my applications running on?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,966 Views)

This license is included with the purchase of a NI Touch Panel. Otherwise, you can purchase one for a 3rd party touch panel if you plan on running the TPC Service on that device. If you just want to run a LabVIEW application on the device as-is then you shouldn't need a license. However, you will have to manually get it installed and running properly. You might be limited on support at that point.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,952 Views)

I get what your saying.

Now let's say I want to manually install my application on my touch panel.

According to this paper (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13048/en/) on section 1, NI can provide WES7 image for NI hardware. Could NI also provide an image containing all the requirements to make a built LabVIEW application (along with Application Builder) work? Or at least, a list of necessary packages so I can build the WES7 image myself?

Thank you very much again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,946 Views)

NI Touch Panels ship with a custom image. Generally we do not release that image, or its components, for unlicensed 3rd party touch panels.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,942 Views)