LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to version 1.7 of Subversion?

In the past few months, a new version of Subversion and Tortoise SVN came out, v. 1.7 (followed rapidly by, 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 fixing various bugs).  There are a fair number of new features in this version, including a new Working Copy structure.  I was wondering if people have started using this new version, and if anybody has had problems using v. 1.7.x with LabVIEW? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,744 Views)

I'm using Tortoise SVN1.7.2 with LV2011 and having very good luck.  I like the new working copy single .svn /_svn directory structure a lot more than before.  I am not using the integrated source code management with LabVIEW -- I do all my lock/ commit from windows explorer.  Not having any problems with 1.7.2 interfacing with older SVN servers, or mixing client versions of 1.7.2 and 1.6.x both working on the same repository.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,994 Views)

D*,

not having done the upgrade (yet), I found this blog entry. Seems quite interesting to update...

Greetings from Germany!

--

UF

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,994 Views)

We are using TortoiseSVN 1.7.2 here, too. We haven't encountered any major issues. (There is no longer an option to use _svn folders, but that is not really a problem.) The performance improvement on the execution of update or clean-up operations on top-level folders is quite noticeable.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,994 Views)

Yep, 1.7.x is a good upgrade - there are a handful of neat features, and the localization of each project's repository is a good move.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,994 Views)

In order to use 1.7.x with < 1.7.x repositories, your local copy must be upgraded to the new SQLite format. The new format is awesome - it's faster and has a smaller footprint (no more .svn directories everywhere, woo!). Be wary, however, as a fair number (4 out of 12, or so) either didn't convert properly or developed erractic symptoms of non-existant changes in the working copy that would corrupt the entire checkout when I tried to revert or cleanup.

I converted using 1.7.0, though, and I'm running 1.7.1 now so maybe they've worked out the kinks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,994 Views)