From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE/Wi-Fi Coexistence Application 160 MHz

Hi,

I have been using the LTE portion of the LTE/WIFI Coex framework. I've noticed that it was designed based off the 40 MHz LTE AFW design. 

Are there any consequences to running this on a 160 MHz USRP?

If I try to run it, it does run without issue. However, I worry that the 20 MHz LTE signal isn't actually 20 MHz. I worry about some of the clock rates being different such as "Data Clock." I know that in the 160 MHz version of the LTE AFW this runs at 200 MHz. Here, it is just labeled as Data Clock, and so I'm not 100% sure what rate it is running.

I tried to alleviate my concern by generating my own 160 MHz design bitfile. In the System Designer view, I replaced the USRP that was included with my 2954, 160 MHz USRP. I set everything up and generated the bitfile. After 3 hours and 48 mins, it failed do to timing. 

A 2.50 ns requirement (400 MHz 2x Data Clock) was missed by 0.02 ns mostly due to the fractional decimator block (0.77 ns) and "Optimized or Non-Diagram Logic" (1.18ns). 

Also, a 5.21 ns requirement (191 MHz Clock)  was missed by 0.25 ns. due to the Sync Algorithm Switch (0.22 ns) and "Optimized Or Non-Diagram Logic" (5.06 ns).

Are there any thoughts as to helping to meet timing, particularly with regard to the Optimized or Non-Diagram Logic" when generating a 160 MHz version?

Thanks,

Chance Tarver

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,067 Views)

These can sometimes be tricky to meet timing on. Without looking into the details the first thing I would try is to compile it several times. The Xilinx tools have slight variations from run to run that you can take advantage of to try to close timing. I would try 4-5 more compiles and see if one works. If not you'll have to dig down into it and fix timing problems in the source.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,052 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

Each compile takes 4 hours on the NI Cloud Compile server. My computer sometimes doesn't like it when I have too many projects open at once, so I'm not sure how many I can actually compile at a time. So it could take all day just to hope that I get a design that works. 

In normal Xilinx tools I think you can set optimization goals. Is it possible here to set NI to optimize for timing? 

Also, what I described was just an unaltered NI design (Except I changed the target to a 160 MHz USRP). I'd hate to have to really dig into their work and start trying to optimize. I'd like to be able to focus on the modifications I need to make.

Still, I'm curious about the clocking of the 40 MHz version of the LTE/Wifi Coex framework and if there are any consequences to running this on a 160 MHz USRP. Any thoughts here?

Thanks,

-Chance

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,042 Views)

@ctarver wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Each compile takes 4 hours on the NI Cloud Compile server. My computer sometimes doesn't like it when I have too many projects open at once, so I'm not sure how many I can actually compile at a time. So it could take all day just to hope that I get a design that works. 

In normal Xilinx tools I think you can set optimization goals. Is it possible here to set NI to optimize for timing? 

Also, what I described was just an unaltered NI design (Except I changed the target to a 160 MHz USRP). I'd hate to have to really dig into their work and start trying to optimize. I'd like to be able to focus on the modifications I need to make.

Still, I'm curious about the clocking of the 40 MHz version of the LTE/Wifi Coex framework and if there are any consequences to running this on a 160 MHz USRP. Any thoughts here?

Thanks,

-Chance

Chance,

You should be able to kick of multiple compiles from a single project when you have automatic numbering set:

s1.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,026 Views)

Cool. Thanks! 

I forgot that I could do that. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,023 Views)

I've provided ctarver with a copy of the latest version of the Coexistence code base that supports the 160 MHz BW version of the USRP RIO.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,971 Views)

Hi 

My name is Mohith a student at TU Darmstadt. I am very new to the field of LTE. I have been give a reference design of LTE Design USRP Rio v2.0.1 and labview communication 2.0. I have created an instance of the design and am trying to analyze the reference code, but not making any progress in getting the exact idea the code is intended to do. So do you have any documents explaining this reference design clearly stating the usage of these blocks. Do reply to mkacahr4493@gmail.com  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,641 Views)

Hi Mohith,

Thank you for your question.  I have replied to your personal email address.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,634 Views)

Hi Mohith,

My attempt to email you failed.  Can you confirm that the email address below is correct?

mkacahr4493@gmail.com 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,630 Views)

Im sorry for the typo. My email id is mkachar4493@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,628 Views)