I give up.
request is lawful. persist devilish.
I will try other solutions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,187 Views)

Thank you for understanding

Rolf's description of the issues with XNodes is accurate: they are dangerous and unrefined.  XNode develepment would not give outside developers (no matter how adept) an experience we are satisfied with.

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,187 Views)

One more question (the last).
Why the functionality of the Xnode are exposed on LAVA web site, and there is also a XNode Manager?

if NI considers the XNode still dangerous?
Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,187 Views)

I can't speak for the developers on LAVA but I assume they reverse-engineered XNodes without NI help

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,187 Views)

Chris is right. There are always people that will try to find out things, despite that the developers did not feel it ready for general consumptions. NI made some attempts to hide that functionality but wanted to be able to use it for some internal tools. They could have removed it entirely but that would have meant that the code base would have needed to be altered substantially and it could have caused subtle bugs in that way. So they left it in but hid it and some brave (some think they are simply crazy) people tried to get into the attic and lift some of the boards that hid those goodies. NI has repeatedly stated that while there is an attic in LabVIEW, there are many unpolished areas there and you can easily step into rusty nails.

If someone wants to take that risk they are not going to legal lengths to prevent them from doing that, but they also tell you that it is all at your own risk. This means if your computer crashes while making use of such features, you should not call technical support (they don't even know the rooms in that attic) and you should not scream when you step in such a nail. (Well not publically anyhow. Cursing in your own room is your own business. )

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 15 of 16
(1,187 Views)

As one of those crazy people who goes sticking his nose under the attic boards , I have to say that I agree 100% with Rolf here. The reason that XNodes get discussed on Lava and not here is to make it absolutely clear that XNodes are not something that NI supports. Playing with XNodes you're on the part of the block diagram marked £here be dragons and all manner of strange beasts".

On the fly scrpting of nodes will be a very cool feature if NI ever chooses to make it public. In te meantime, XNodes are fun to play with but should not be used for anything that actually matters....

The Lava forums and tools pretty much tell you averything you need to know to start writing XNoides - especially now that scripting is in the public domain.

--
Gavin Burnell
Condensed Matter Physics Group, University of Leeds, UK
http://www.stoner.leeds.ac.uk/
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,187 Views)