Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error connecting to GPIB driver or device"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

This is the first posting I do on this forum, so please be forbearing, if I do mistakes.

Now my problem:

I am Using the NI USB2GPIB-Adaptor and want to communicate with any GPIB-Device by using the Simple GPIB.vi out of the NI-Example VIs.

Starting the VI with the correct GPIB-Adress of the Device occurs in an Error:

Error.jpg

My Settings of the GPIB Adaptor are these:

Settings.jpg

Can anyone explaine, why in MAX the communication runs:

Communication in MAX.jpg

but not in the VI. In the VI I get the Error flag, when I try to use the GPIB write function (Error bit 15 is set to 1).

Can anyone please help me?

Kind regards from good old germany,

z

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,753 Views)
First of all, you should be using VISA instead of the lower level GPIB functions. Second, you have not said which instrument you are trying to use with the example and what the front panel settings are. Skip the example, though and just use VISA for better long term support.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,738 Views)

Hey, 

thank you for the very fast reply.

I must use GPIB, because I will change an existing "Code"-

I use as a GPIB-Device the "Keithley 487 picoammeter." But the *IDN? should be answered by any device, which is actually not possible.

Please keep in mind, that with the MAX I can send the *IDN? and get a reply (please see third pic in my initial posting).

Kind regards...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,722 Views)
Must is pretty strong. The VISA api has been the standard for a long time. Just because it was written incorrectly in the first place does not mean it shouldn't be fixed now. At least try out and see if you get an error.

I know you can communicate in MAX but you did not attach the screenshot of the VI so how can anyone comment on what you did there?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,717 Views)

Hello Dennis,

unfortunately I must use GPIB. Because of several reasons...

Here is a screenshot ov the VI. As I wrote in my first posting, you can find it on your Harddrive by searching "Simple GPIB":

Simple GPIB VI.jpg

If I try to open a VISA-Tespanel, I get this (please see the error message at the bottom of the screenshot.:

VISA.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,694 Views)

Take a look at this link and see if it helps

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,690 Views)

Sorry, didn't helped.

regards,

Özgür

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,687 Views)

Hey zombiee77,

have you just tried to initalize the bus?
Normally it´s not necessary after using the NI-488.2 Communicator from MAX, but mabey this solves your Problem.

GPIB Initialization Function - LabVIEW 2012 Help - National Instruments
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvinstio/gpib_initialization/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,660 Views)

Hey jSturm,

just did the init, but without success.

Regards...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,657 Views)

In the first picture you've posted I can see that the other two instruments did not answer to the IDN Query by MAX. Did you try to connect the USB-GPIB-HS directly to each one of the instruments? Just to be sure, that the cable isn't causing this problem. Then I'd advise to change the USB-GPIB-HS.

I also noticed, that the answer to the IDN Query is once NDCI-0.00001E-03 and once NDCI-0.00002E-03. Looks more like a measured value than an ID-String to me?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,647 Views)