Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci 1409 and pulnix camera

Hi,

I have a PCI-1409 frame grabber, which I'm trying to syncronize with a Pulnix TM-6AS camera.

Can anyone help on this?

The frame grabber seems to take the wrong frame, before getting the trigger from the camera,  and we don't manage to control it.

Thanks,
Tal
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,189 Views)
Hello,

Are you able to acquire images from the camera in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)?  Try opening MAX and navigate to Devices and Interfaces >> NI-IMAQ Devices and select the appropriate channel for your framegrabber.  Try running a snap or grab.  Does this work properly? 

Depending on the video output that is generated by the camera, you may need to use one of the non-standard analog video acquisition modes that are supported by the PCI 1409.  For more information about these modes and how to use them, take a look at:

Using the Acquisition Modes of Analog IMAQ Devices

Try those steps and let me know if you have any additional questions on this issue.

Regards,
Scott R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Scott Romine
Course Development Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,178 Views)
Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your reply. I would be very greatful if you could assist us further.
We are working at Ben Gurion University in Israel, in an experimental group in quantum optics (physics).

We read the text you suggested in your reply, but what we don't understand is how to be in the operation mode we need to be.
we have a pulnix TM-6AS camera, and NI IMAQ PCI 1409 frame grabber.

we also tried to go by the next example:
Using the JAI CV-A1 Camera in Asynchronous Reset Mode With the IMAQ 1409
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/4FE235DFA836257B86256C0F0063A932

and triggering:
Using the JAI CV-A1 Camera in Asynchronous Reset Mode With the IMAQ 1409
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/4FE235DFA836257B86256C0F0063A932

and in the next link (same as you provided): (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/E0B9712BB1F4D8E286256A390066A3FB?opendocument#6 ) it said to connect the HSYNC / VSYNC signal that comes from the camera to the IMAQ.

our camera doesn't send any signal except the 'frame-ready' signal (about 1 mSec before it start sending the image)

what we really need to know is:
what signals do we need to provide from the camera (or elsewhere) to which inputs of the frame grabber, in order to be able to grab a picture at a time of our choosing, with the asynchronous double pulse mode. What is the function of each of these signals.

According to what you'll answer, we may want to call you by phone for further questions this Wednesday.
Would that be possible? If so, what is your number? My email address is taldavid@bgu.ac.il if you need it.
Where do you sit in the US? I'd like to know that in order to figure out what is our time difference....

Thanks again for the help,
Tal

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,169 Views)
Hello,

Which device are you trying to trigger?  There are two possibilities.  You could trigger the camera so that it does not send image data until a trigger is received or you can trigger the 1409, so that image data will not be read from the BNC until a trigger is received.  Depending on the camera that you are using and the frame rate/size that you want to achieve, there may be different requirements for this.  What signals are available for your camera?  The HSYNC and VSYNC and PCLK signals are used to determine the image dimensions that are transmitted from your camera to the 1409 as well as the rate at which the images are transferred. 

Are you trying to trigger a single image, or do you want to acquire multiple images in succession based on multiple triggers?  Triggering the camera itself will give you a more instantaneous snapshot of your field of view.  Triggering the board will return the next complete frame that is received. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Scott R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Scott Romine
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,160 Views)
Hello,

Which device are you trying to trigger?  There are two possibilities.  You could trigger the camera so that it does not send image data until a trigger is received or you can trigger the 1409, so that image data will not be read from the BNC until a trigger is received.  Depending on the camera that you are using and the frame rate/size that you want to achieve, there may be different requirements for this.  What signals are available for your camera?  The HSYNC and VSYNC and PCLK signals are used to determine the image dimensions that are transmitted from your camera to the 1409 as well as the rate at which the images are transferred. 

Are you trying to trigger a single image, or do you want to acquire multiple images in succession based on multiple triggers?  Triggering the camera itself will give you a more instantaneous snapshot of your field of view.  Triggering the board will return the next complete frame that is received. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Scott R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Scott Romine
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,160 Views)