Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpibrc path

Hi!

I'm trying to write a Solaris application that is supposed to communicate with a GPIB device through a GPIB-ENET/100-board.

My questions is about the gpibrc-file that is supposed to be placed in /etc/:
1. Is this file driver configuration?
2a. Does the file have to be placed in /etc/?
2b. Can I force my application to look for the file elsewere?

I have found a weak indication (through google) that the GPIBCONF environment variable has something to do with the gbibrc-file. I also found that string next to "/etc/gpibrc" in cib.o.

Best regards,
Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,959 Views)

Andreas,

Various versions of the Solaris driver look for the gpib.rc file in specific places.  There is no support for moving this file to another location.  What are you trying to do that you require the file be in a different location?

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,943 Views)

I'm trying to implement an application that doesn't require an administrator for installation (to place a file in /etc requires an administrator). I really see no point in the need for an administrator since the only file that requires this (static linked application) is gpibrc that just contains configuration for the communication.

If I change the environment variable GPIBCONF to /foo/bar/gpibrc I see (truss) that the application (cib.o) opens /foo/bar/gpibrc. Is it an undocumented feature?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,937 Views)

This is certainly undocumented, and I can't say for sure that it will act the way that you expect it to act, or that it will act correctly in all cases.  This is not a supported feature.  Test it out and see if it will do what you need.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,925 Views)