From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daqmx through rs232

Hi!

I'm pretty new in labviewscene and I would like to build a VI which allows me to send a continuous voltage signal acquired with a daqmx device through rs232 interface to a digital display.

I have working examples of both daqmx acquiring signal and rs232 input and output, but I can't convert the daqmx signal to the apropriated serial protocol that rs232 could transmit. Is that possible?

Can someone tell me which function should I use to do this?

thanks a lot, Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,547 Views)
Since there is no standard for RS232 communication, you need to provide details on what you are connecting to. Attach the programming manual or provide a link.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,529 Views)

Hellow Dennis Knutson,

I'm trying to send a pre-amplified signal (loadcell) acquired by a USB-6008 (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/pt/nid/201986) and also text messages through a serial port via RS232 to a digital display. There is no standard protocol for the display yet, it could be ASCII for instance or some other as well.

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,508 Views)

When you know the format that the display requires, post back with that information. You cannot do anything until you have that information.

No need to post a link to the 6008.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,502 Views)

It will be a ASCII format. Do need some other specific information?

I sorry for that, I'm not familiar with this area. Indeed,  I don't not even study it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,497 Views)
Well, that's a start. All instrument communication requires a very precise protocol beyond knowing baud rate, ASCII etc.

You just have to look at the block diagram of the_34401 driver that comes with LabVIEW to see what is required for a pretty basic instrument. And, that is for GPIB with a well established standard for commands. For serial, anything is possible.

You'll also need to decide what sort of data to get from DAQmx. Single channel, multi-channel, single scan, multi-scan, waveform data type, array of waveforms, scalar, 1D array, 2D DBL array, etc. All of these details affect how you are going to do the conversion. Study all of the conversion functions on the string palette.

I know you were looking for a simple answer but a simple answer cannot be had with so little information to work with.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,478 Views)