From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly is happening/failing when "GPIB Interfaces sequentially verified" FAILS?

I have an AT-GPIB/TNT+ card installed in my computer. It fails the "GPIB Interfaces sequentially verified" portion of the Wizard program. I am able to communicate (IBIC) with my instruments, so it appears that all is working well. I do have older non-compliant GPIB interfaces so the "Scan for Instruments" does not work. What exactly is failing in the Wizard and what can I do? I have windows 95.0.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,183 Views)
Janet,
Typically when the installations fails the sequential verification, it is due to either a resource conflict or a device being connected to the board during the test. You can click on the failed interface to get a brief explination of what may have caused the error.
There are instances reported using the AT-GPIB/TNT+ board and Win 98 inwhich this error was reported even though there were no problems with the board's setup. Since you are communicating properly with the board through IBIC your board is functioning properly, and I would not be concerned with the error message.
As for your instrument, this is likely due to your instruments non-compliance to 488.2 standards. Whenever the Measurement & Automation Explorer does a "Scan for Instruments", it sends out the stri
ng "*idn?" (which is an IEEE 488.2 identification query string) to all of the devices on the bus. If you have older, non-IEEE 488.2 compliant instruments on your GPIB, then they will not recognize this string as a valid command. This will cause "Scan for Instruments" to fail.

Best Regards,
Chris D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,183 Views)