Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA unable to connect in NI Max

Hello!

I apologize if this issue is relatively trivial. I am not very well-versed in using VISA. I have searched the forums for this issue and I cannot seem to find my exact issue or any solution that works, so I decided I had to write my own thread.

So I have  MKS Mass Flow Controller. It has an ethernet cable coming out of it. I connect this ethernet cable directly into the socket on my computer. I set it up so it has a static IP address. I then tried to follow this guide, and I am able to ping the device from the command prompt, telling me that it is talking to the computer. I then continue with this guide and open up NI Max, go to Devices & Interfaces > Network Devices. I right click and select "Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource..." which brings up its dialog to select how to find the new device. I tried using the auto-detect and it said that "No VXI-11 LAN/LXI instruments were found on the local subnet.". I then tried to do the Manual LAN connection and I put in the IP address that I was able to ping in the cmmd window. I got the following error when I tried this:

Could not open a VISA session to "TCPIP0::192.168.2.155::INSTR". 

VISA error code 0xBFFF0011

Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system. 

I feel like it is something rather simple that I am missing, however I cannot figure out what it is. 

Ideally, we will have 3 mass flow controllers all with their ethernet cables connected to an ethernet switch and then one ethernet cable going into the computer's socket from that. I would like to be able to eventually make a LabView program to read from all three at the same time, although the first thing to do this is to get them to actually connect so i can use a VISA in LabView. 

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,572 Views)

As I think, you have to contact with MKS. The MKS P series does support ethernet port. However, it does not support the VXI-11 protocol. Maybe you can get the socket port connection or another tricky method to control it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,529 Views)

We have the G series. MKS said we would be able to interface with LabView, but would not give us any further assistance in getting this work. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,518 Views)

Check the p77

https://www.mksinst.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/resources/GISeriesMFCs-MAN.pdf?1

It is Modbus TCP/IP protocol, this protocol cannot use NI-MAX to find the device. You have to contact MKS to get the Modbus LabVIEW library which made by MKS.

And, it has a note regard the "Ethercat MFC" can be converted to Modbus TCP/IP.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,503 Views)