From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA runtime download link

Hi!

I'm unable to find a link to VISA runtime download page.

Old links now are reditrected to this page http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html

Here only VISA full package is located.

Where I can find VISA runtime ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(16,934 Views)

Hello IIvan,

Please review the information in the following document: Downloading 19.0 NI-DAQmx or NI-VISA Driver Runtime Engines

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(16,876 Views)

Hi!

Thank you! Now for 19 version it's clear.

For previous versions "Included Editions" option exist, looks like I missed it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(16,851 Views)

@oscarfonseca wrote:

Hello IIvan,

Please review the information in the following document: Downloading 19.0 NI-DAQmx or NI-VISA Driver Runtime Engines

All the best,

This looks like it will work if you're online. What is the procedure to download an offline NI-VISA Runtime installer???

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(16,788 Views)

I understand your concern, iannicholson.

I presume the Individual Offline Installer should solve that problem for you. You can find it in the bottom of the right column of the downloads page.

2019-09-06 16_35_38-NI-VISA Download - National Instruments.png

The download will contain all the driver, but you should be able to select just the runtime during installation (as the document shows), without having to be connected to the internet.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(16,774 Views)

Oscar,

Thanks for the quick response. Am I correct in assuming that my customers will need to download (at least once) the entire 900MB+ package just for the runtime? That is a massive download for us just to use the serial port Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad

I can also predict about 3% of my customers will be capable of unchecking everything except the runtime installers. It it's hard enough to get them to select only the LabVIEW Runtime Engine and the Deployable License in the LVRT installer!

Years ago, I would build an installer that contained only the LVRT and VISA runtime installers through LabVIEW, and would have my customers download this (a single install with the appropriate options baked into it). How do we get back to something that simple?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(16,745 Views)

Years ago, I would build an installer that contained only the LVRT and VISA runtime installers through LabVIEW, and would have my customers download this (a single install with the appropriate options baked into it). How do we get back to something that simple?

You are still able to do that using the Additional Installers in LabVIEW Application Builder.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(16,737 Views)

@oscarfonseca wrote:

You are still able to do that using the Additional Installers in LabVIEW Application Builder.

Regards,

There was an issue starting with LabVIEW 2017 where the Deployable License wasn't included with the Runtime Engine, so I had to abandon that approach and start distributing the official RT installers separately. Do you know if that is still an issue?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(16,718 Views)

There was an issue starting with LabVIEW 2017 where the Deployable License wasn't included with the Runtime Engine, 

I am unsure what you are referring to here. The LabVIEW RunTime Engine requires no paid license, and can be built using the application builder (which does have a license, and is also included with LabVIEW Professional) into an installer that should not ask for a license when running in a new machine.

I assume if you're using a Debug Deployment license of LabVIEW, then you need to install the development environment, which means the RunTime installer from the application builder will not be enough, indeed.

For the drivers, I just made a test creating an installer of an application that used NI VISA and was able to include the VISA RunTime in it. When I installed to a new machine I got both the LabVIEW RunTime and VISA RunTime installed and running in the machine.

All the best.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(16,704 Views)

@oscarfonseca wrote:

There was an issue starting with LabVIEW 2017 where the Deployable License wasn't included with the Runtime Engine, 

I am unsure what you are referring to here. The LabVIEW RunTime Engine requires no paid license, and can be built using the application builder (which does have a license, and is also included with LabVIEW Professional) into an installer that should not ask for a license when running in a new machine.

I assume if you're using a Debug Deployment license of LabVIEW, then you need to install the development environment, which means the RunTime installer from the application builder will not be enough, indeed.

For the drivers, I just made a test creating an installer of an application that used NI VISA and was able to include the VISA RunTime in it. When I installed to a new machine I got both the LabVIEW RunTime and VISA RunTime installed and running in the machine.

All the best.

I was mistaken, it was the 2013 RTE that I had the problem with. Details are in this thread.

Long story short, I was building a separate installer that only included the runtime engine but not my executable (for those times when the runtimes should be deployed). This worked fine, until LabVIEW 2013 came out and I got errors using this method (see that thread). So we started using the LVRTE2013std.exe and the VISA540_runtime.exe to install the two runtimes. This was a little annoying (since it was two files instead of one), but it was fine and we went with it for years.

What I'm looking for is the same thing for LabVIEW 2019. If I can go back to letting LabVIEW create this bundled installer, great! I'll do just that. But I haven't seen anything that indicates this ever was reproduced or worked on by NI, so I'm currently assuming it will still fail with 2019.

We have been using LabVIEW for 20 years, and I've been in charge of our development for at least 12, so I'm well aware of the licensing for deployment. That's why I was surprised to find that my app failed to run if the app-builder didn't include the "deployable license" component. But eventually we worked around that and it's been fine. I'm just trying to determine the ideal route to continue this into the 2019 versions.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(16,689 Views)