Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA error code -1073807343 when using ResourceManager.GetLocalManager().FindResources(filter) to detect Pickering PXI card

Solved!
Go to solution

I am upgrading our test system to Windows 7 and NI Developer Suite 2012 DS2 from Windows XP and NI Developer Suite 2008 4th quarter. I've run into an issue with using VISA to detect Pickering PXI devices. The problem occurs with the following .NET call NationalInstruments.VisaNS.ResourceManager.GetLocalManager().FindResources(filter). I am using the filter "PXI?*INSTR".

To trouble shoot this issue I have been using the VISA C# example program FindResources.2008. I get the following error message when applying the "PXI?*INSTR" filter. "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system. VISA error code -1073807343 (0xBFFF0011), ErrorResourceNotFound.

From looking at the other treads I gather that VISA is not finding the cards. I ran into the same error message when I tried to run the "GPIB?*INSTR" filter however I determined that there was an issue with the NI-488.2 driver. After repairing the driver the FindResources.2008 program would find the GPIB instruments using the "GPIB?*INSTR" filter.

In MAX the Pickering cards show up in "Devices and Interfaces" and are listed as follows:
12: PCI Device "PXI12::9::INSTR"
15: PCI Device "PXI13::13::INSTR"

Under XP the cards were listed as:
PXI12::9::INSTR (Pickering 40-785-522)
PXI13::13::INSTR (Pickering 40-780-522)

Also in MAX for each device I am able to Open the VISA Test Panel.

Any ideas why VISA is not able to detect these cards?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,914 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author shuli

I figured it out. Apparently I needed Windows 7 to install the driver for the Pickering Cards. I assumed that the "PXI VPP / VISA Drivers" provided by Pickering Test would take care of that.

Before Windows installed the driver the Pickering cards were listed as a PCI device under "Other Devices". After install the cards were listed under "NI-VISA PXI Devices"

In MAX the card now are listed as:

12: Pickering 40-785-522 "PXI12::9::INSTR"
15: Pickering 40-780-522 "PXI13::13::INSTR"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,891 Views)