Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Error Message: (Hex 0xBFFF006B) A Framing error occurred during transfer.

I am a project student and I'm very new to LabVIEW 8. My device is using a MSP430F169 microcontroller to run a program using a software, IAR Embedded Workbench IDE though RS232 cable (Connected to COM 1) and display the output using LabVIEW. I'm using the example given in LabVIEW (Basic Serial Write and Read.vi).
Basically, my objective is to run the program using IAR Embedded Workbench IDE with the device connected to COM1 and display the output (the program will display 0 - 9 when any key is pressed on the keyboard) in LabVIEW 8. It Run correctly for the first two key pressed, but it didnt work for the 3rd key. Whenever i Run LabVIEW, it will display this error message:

Error - 1073807253 occurred at VISA Read in Basic Serial Write and Read.vi
Possible reason(s):
VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF006B) A Framing error occurred during transfer.

Under Measurement & Automation: 
Error message when i click on Validate:
Could not open a VISA session to "ASRL1::INSTR".
VISA error code 0xBFFF0072.
The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

Under Device Status:
VISA returned this device when finding resources, and MAX could use VISA to parse the resource name.  The resource is busy, so MAX could not succesfully open a VISA session to the device.

Does anyone know what is the problem? Is it the connection between VISA and my device? the Programming is not compatibale or Configuration of LabVIEW?
Please Help~ Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,461 Views)
the framing error normally occurs when your baudrate is not correct.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,443 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think is the baud rate problem because I've try running the program with this device connected using RS232 cable and view the output using hyperterminal. i've also try all the possible baud rates. The settings in hyperterminal is:

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

and i used the same setting in Labview. I've attached the screenshort of the correct output display of the hyperterminal.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,405 Views)
I read your first question again and concluded that LabVIEW or hyperterminal stil had the serial port open.
So the busy info was correct.
but if you can communicate with hyperterminal it should also be possible in LabVIEW, the same hardware is used.

Could you post your vi's used in the communication?
your previous attachment by the way did not make it.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,402 Views)
Okie, i'll attach the screenshort again. Btw the vi i'm using is one of the example in LabVIEW 8 (Basic Serial Write & Read).
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,392 Views)