Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB visa problem

Hello,

I am willing to communicate with a Rigol digital oscilloscope (DS5000 series). 

In the attached file there is this note:

http://grab.by/grabs/556f25ffa4624e37945994ba404284fa.png

I tried to find information about DS5000 but it doesn't appear. I asked Rigol technologies, waiting for answer.

I wondered if i could use VISA library with this device.

MAX didn't find the oscilloscope when i use the drivers in rigols page, so i created one with the driver wizard.

But then when i try to communicate with it sending *IDN? command using VISA TEST PANEL, an error occurs and i can't even write on it...

In addition, i wanted to know the difference between RAW and TMC in order to program in labview.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,237 Views)

Hi,

we have a doc here to describe how to communicate with USB devices(TMC and RAW) here

Basically, if the model is USB TMC compliant, then it should be recognized by MAX. 

Message 2 of 12
(5,201 Views)

Using the driver wizard was wrong. This requires you to obtain some very low level information from the vendor. You need to undo this. If the vendor says their instrument is USBTMC, then you need to deal with them to install the correct driver.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,189 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

The issue is that i am not sure if it is a USBTMC instrument. MAX is supposed to find USBTMC automatically, but it doesn't...that's why i supposed it was RAW.

I will wait until Rigol answers me. Then i will post here more information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,166 Views)

As I know, it's an USB Raw device with fake USB TMC Class. That's explain all.

But, you can talk to it by USB Raw.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,158 Views)

I also have a problem communicating with the Rigol DS5000.
Do not touch me the answer to the "* IDN?".

aaa.jpg

The second problem is how to get the commands to communicate with him, because there is nothing about this in the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,612 Views)

@Kulin wrote:

I also have a problem communicating with the Rigol DS5000.
Do not touch me the answer to the "* IDN?".

aaa.jpg

The second problem is how to get the commands to communicate with him, because there is nothing about this in the manual.

You may need a CR/LF after the "*IDN?".  Also, I'd put a wait before the read, then bring the VISA "Bytes At Port" property into the read so you read everything in the buffer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,596 Views)

aaa2.JPG

Sending "*IND?/n", added 1000 milliseconds and there is no difference.
I noticed that "VISA write" does not return an error only if the disconnect and start again connecting an oscilloscope.
I also noticed that when reading 0 bits, does not return errors. Any other number (2,5,512,1024) causes an error.
I do not know how well I am doing that send the "VISA resource name" something like "USB0::0x0400::0xC55D::NI-VISA-6::RAW"

Please help quickly depends on whether it crashes me out of college.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,574 Views)

Sending a /n as you have written would of course be incorrect and since you did not post your actual code, no one knows that if you do attempt to send a \n, \r, or \r\n, you are doing it correctly. Did you set your string control for '\' Codes Display? Does the instrument in fact support a *IDN? query?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,545 Views)

I do not know which commands understands my oscilloscope because there is no word about it in the manual and i do not know where to find it. I found the drivers in LabVIEW, but to a completely different model from the same manufacturer because in my series there is no such command and may I use the one I've found.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,537 Views)