Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to RS485 converter

Hi there:

I want to use my labview program to control the rotation motor I have. The motor is connected with my computer through a USB to RS485 interface converter. I already can control the motor through a small software (Mac Talk) developed by the motor controller company. The technique support guy from the company also send me a Labview vi for this, however, for some reason that labview sample he send to me can work on his computer but doesn't work on mine. I tried to checked what could be the problem, then I found this labview vi cannot detect the serial port, which I assumed there is a problem for my labview program to communicate with the USB-RS485 interface converter. How should I solve this problem?

I'm using LabView 2010, Windows 7

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,952 Views)

Hi,

You can delete the sequence. The reference and/or error cluster force the dataflow.

The while-loop will send and receive at full speed without knowing if there is data available and if the device is ready.

The error-cluster in-out at the while-loop should be replace by a shiftregister.

Or maybe better just delete the while-loop for test so you only send and receive once.

Is it not possible to use a (standard) USB-RS485 converter and use the VISA serial I/O ?

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,653 Views)

Hi 3C,

the VISA API is indeed a good way to go; first try to get your serial port working. A good starting point will be a loop back test like described in this KB 

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,635 Views)