Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout problems with VISA to write

Hi,

I´m currently using Labview to control a wafer prober. The wafer prober is conected to the pc trough a Agilent 82357A USB/GPIB interface. The device is properly configured in "Agilent Connection Expert" and I´ve set the passport tulip in MAX. I can see de device and read de status byte with MAX and with Labview, but when I try to write an instruction I receive the visa error code -1073807339 that means "timeout expired" in both cases. In Labview I´m using NI VISA and I´ve increased the timeout but I receive the same error.

What could I do to solve it?

Thanks in advance for the help 🙂

Ana 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,369 Views)
If you have problems in write then you probably don't have the correct resource name.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,360 Views)

The resource name that I'm writing is GPIB0::1::INSTR and I think it's correct. MAX and Agilent Conection Expert recognize it automatically. Even more, I've checked it using VISA Find Resource.vi with the same result. There's no other device conected, so I don't think that the resource name is the problem 😞

Any other idea?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,357 Views)

please post the vi you are using to communicate.

A timeout error on write is very rare, a timeout on read is probably a missing endcharacter in the write command.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,352 Views)

I attach the vi below. It's very simple so maybe the error is obvious.

The prober works with instructions of this kind:

(CMD) P1...Pn (CR)(LF)

where (CMD) = a single or double ASCII alphanumeric character and P1-Pn is the ASCII representation of command parameters 1 through n (if necessesary)

Thanks for your interest :)!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,336 Views)
One obvious thing is that you are not sending CR/LF. At best you are sending only the CR with the \r but since you only posted an image, it's not clear that you are sending that correctly. You need to have the string constant set to '\' Codes Display. The term char you are setting with the VISA property node is for terminating the read.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,324 Views)
I thought that the term char in the VISA property node is for terminating both of them (read and write), thank you for the explanation. I´ve added  (LF) and checked the setting '\' Codes Display. Unfortunately, without result.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,301 Views)

Hi

This looks OK.

Do you really get an error on write or only on the read?

If statusbyte works it also could be something on the datawires, is your connector OK?

The only idea left...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,296 Views)

The error I receive always is Code: -1073807339, Source: "VISA Write in Request_location_initial_die_reference_die.vi"

In principle the connector seems to be OK. The agilent USB/GPIB interface has the "ready" light on ...could it be that it is incompatible with the vi of NI?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,284 Views)
this looks like a problem in the passport.Maybe Agilent knows this problem and has a solution.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,262 Views)