Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tek TDS540 field adj software doesn't work with VISA or 488.2

Hello everyone. I have a few Tektronix TDS540 scopes I need to calibrate with the Tek Field Adjustment Software included with the manual. The Visa and 488.2 work fine, communicate with the scope beautiful. When I load the Tek adj software for calibration of these scopes, launch it in the dos window, it instantly prompts me it can't read or find a bunch of needed files, like .inf, .hlp, .bat, etc, etc. I know they're there and not corrupted, I can bring them up in Explorer and read all of them with WordPad or Notepad just fine. I have several different field adj software's, for quite a few different 500, 600, and 700 series Tek scopes, and everyone of them do exactly the same thing. It seems like when it installed, it didn't put these files in the "Path" correctly, the only thing I can guess. I've tried everything, including Win 95, and 98. The Tek manual only calls out for an OS with DOS 3.3 or higher, that's it. Doesn't make mention of any Windows versions at all. It has to have Win for the Visa and 4.88 to install and launch. I've tried to "edit" the path, change it so it goes to that directory, but it still does the same thing, promps with "can't find files * and * and *, missing or corrupt", and it can't find the GPIB card. . I'm really rusty at the old DOS, it's been 18 yrs since I've messed with it. The Tek software loads fine, launchs fine, but instantly prompts with not being able to find the files loaded from the software... HELP ! 🙂  I've also tried loading the Tek adj software before and after Visa and 4.88.2, but the software says to load it after setting up the GPIB card. It has the correct card called out for in the Tek manual too, and older one of course which still has support available through National. I've tried it both ways, before and after, and doesn't make a difference.

THANKS ! Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'd like to say a big THANKS! to the couple phone converstions to tech support in dealing with the deaf. You have no idea how much I appreciate this, being I am deaf, disabled, and retired gladly 🙂 

Thank you all !

Best Regards

Jeff Engle

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,178 Views)

Sounds like a question for Tek and not NI. Have you seen this on Tek's site?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,177 Views)

I just tried to join the yahoo group, they haven't allowed me yet. Been on the Tek forum too, but wasn't ready to since I didn't have the Tek software. It's like top secret information to them, and it's sooooo rediculous. Called countless repair shops that calibrate these scopes, they don't want to talk to me, and only tell me I have to send them the scope so they can calibrate it for me, for an enormous rediculous amount in the hundreds of dollars. It's like they're all tied into each other, like a click. Now, I'm retired, disabled, and do electronics for hobby. An authorized Tek repair facility in Sacramento wants me to work with them and repair the bottom Attn'Acquis boards since I've done quite a few of them sucessfully. I just started out getting a TDS540 really cheap, worked on it myself gathering as much info as I could. The only shop in the USA that would actually talk to me was this one shop in Sac. After I told them I got both my scopes running but needed calibration, they're begging me to help them by sending me a scope once in a while to rebuild this bottom pc board with new caps, etc. That's all fine and well I told them, but I have to get the calibration software first so I can bench test the scope they send me, and confirm it will calibrate fully with no problems. I'm not a shop, retired and dis-abled, and like I'm going to rob these few shops across the USA of their business, it's soooooo rediculous. The Tek authorized facility in Sac agrees 100%, but that's greedy people for ya.... unfortunately... No one wants to tell ya anything concerning the calibration, especially the software. Little do they know, I have a LOT of manuals with original Tek floppy discs in mint cond, and if I wanted to, I could get the cert needed for an official calibration.... 🙂  But I don't plan to of course. I have no need to. I just love working on electronics for hobby, but also many other extreeem interests like ultra high power NdYag 500-700W CW or Pulsed laser systems I engineered and built from scratch. My big one will slice through 1" steel plate 🙂  so, I do love physics, chemistry, electronics, and most of all inventing for hobby. Not just playing with a TDS540 Tektronix oscilloscope... 🙂

Thanks for the suggestion. Any and all are greatly appreciated. It's too bad we live in a country that is so biased, and has soooooo many greedy folks with endless amounts of pride.

Best Regards 🙂

Je

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,174 Views)

yes, i read that. Thank you. I'm using the field adj software for the 540a which has the 540 in it also. Tried the command suggested in the forum, it worked fine, but the last prompt after entering all the info said it couldn't find the card of all things. I'm using the National 488.2 software and the NiVisa. It communicates with the scope fine. The Tek adj software just doesn't seem to find the card for some reason.... The only question I'm in doubt in the Tek settup is the switch setting, which has ( usually 87 ) to type in, and I have no idea what the switch setting should be set for. The card manual doesn't detail this at all. The dip switch on the board has like 8 or 9 settings. So, it's gotta be converted to the majic number the software calls out for. The National software sets up the card fine, I copied all the parameters down, but it gives no switch setting pertaining to "87" or anything of the such. So,,,,, this is the only parameter I probably have entered wrong when setting up the Tek adj software as it asks for the info for the card....  I'm getting closer at least 🙂  It should work, no reason why it shouldn't. I'm using the tds540a adj software which should be compatible with the national 488 and Visa software... ???

Thanks for the input, any little bit helps.

je

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,146 Views)

Since the NI software is communicating with the instrument fine, I would have to agree with Dennis that you may find better help on the Tek forums or support. Check out these locations:

Tek Support

Tek Forums

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,088 Views)

Well, I solved the problem. I put everything on an older Dell pc, un-installed Visa, and it worked right out of the box 🙂  Just like the manual says it's suppose to be done in their manner, it works beautiful on a Dell, but won't fly on an IBM clone for some reason, I'm guessing it;s the bios that made the difference. I need to try it with a different mb  with different bios is next. In the mean time, the ol' saying, if it works don't fix it 🙂

Thanks for your input ! When I get it to sail on another pc instead of the Dell I'll give it a post 🙂

thanks again !

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,021 Views)

Hello Jeff,

I am sorry if my attempt is slightly off-topic here, but I am looking for the field adjust software for my TDS644A which you might have according to your first message in this forum. It looks like Tektronix has stopped support completely for these old scopes. I have spent hours to repair it as you did obviously with your scopes and now it works in the "initial" state with NI hard and software. Perhaps you could get in touch with me by email (helmut.gross@hgtronic.de) for some information exchange.

Many thanks in advance

Helmut Gross

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,776 Views)

While hunting for the field adjust software for a TDS-540C i ran across this thread. 

The biggest problem isn't that the VISA or 488.2 won't work it's a function of the actual Tektronix software.  It wants to see only one version of the interface, the PCIIA  i have tried several versions of NI interfaces and NI software revisions many would load and could "see" the device but the Tektronix software would not interface at all.

At this time i have an older computer, Windows 98 running in safe mode command prompt only and the PCIIA card.  the adjustment software runs OK.

As a reply to another entry in this tread, leaving out the learning curve, it takes roughly 4.5 hours to do a full alignment under software control on a TDS-540.  this makes those $500.00 charges for alignment more reasonable.  Anyone who charges a low rate should be questioned as to what they do, there are a lot of Lick-n-stick cal labs out there

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,464 Views)

Hi I have a TDS540Smiley Happy but I can't find the adjustement software, can send me the disks file so I can have the disk?

Bets regards, Alberto

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,285 Views)