From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IPA for cdaq

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cDAQ 9181 chassis that I can communicate with over DHCP IPA.  However, I need to assign the 9181 a static IPA (assigned by our network admin).  When I use MAX to try to change the IPA to static and give it the correct IPA, MAX searches enlessly for a network adapter.  I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened and someone must know the solution to this.  Thanks.  Hal Curling

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,226 Views)

How do you have your cDAQ hooked up to your computer? I would recommend trying the following:

1. Connect the cDAQ directly to your PC.

2. Reboot your computer and IP Reset your cDAQ to ensure they both use a link local IP address.

3. In MAX, set your cDAQ IP address to the static IP address you would like.

4. At this point you will not see the cDAQ in MAX because you are no longer on the same subnet.

5. Plug the cDAQ into your work router/switch and connect your computer.

6. Ensure the cDAQ and PC are on the same subnet and you should then be able to detect it in MAX.

Hope this helps!

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,185 Views)

Thanks for the help, Rob.  I have been assuming that when you manually reset the cDAQ using the inset button on the chassis, that will put the cDAQ back in DHCP mode.  Is that correct?

Also, I am using a USB-to-fast-ethernet adapter so that I can keep my internal nic available for my lab intranet and internet connections.  I have been setting the adapter to obtain an IP address automatically. Hoever, when I started MAX and tried to get into the network settings tab, MAX just went into "searching for device" indefinitely.

I appreciate the help.

Hal

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,179 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hal_Curling

Hal,

When you hit the reset button on the cDAQ that will put the device back into DHCP mode.

For troubleshooting, you should also temporarily disable all other network adapters, aside from the one that you have connected to the cDAQ.

I believe that this is what's happening:

1. Your cDAQ boots up and looks for a DHCP server, but never finds one. This means it will be to a link local IP address: 169.254.x.x

2. Your USB-Ethernet adapter defaults to some IP address that isn't link local. We can check this by running an ipconfig in the windows command prompt. 

3. The two devices will then be on different subnets so they won't be able to talk to each other in MAX. You may still be able to ping the device or try using NI Network Browser (should be installed on your system) to determine that IP address.

After disabling all other network adapters, you should set your USB-Ethernet adapter to a 169.254.x.x IP address and 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. After that, hit the reset button on the cDAQ. Unless your firewalls or antivirus are blocking the connection, you should definitely be able to see the cDAQ after that. 

Also, just to eliminate the silly things, you do have a recent version of DAQmx installed, correct?

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
Message 4 of 7
(5,159 Views)

Network cDAQ Troubleshooting Resources

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E67B4E4749F378FF862577270059BD4B

This document is also helpful

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,115 Views)

Thanks Rob!  That fixed the issues.  I did indeed have the latest version of the DAQmx, I was just mixing subnets as you indicated.  It can be very confusing sometimes.  It appears that both of my cDAQs are connecting and running normally now.

I really appreciate all your help with this!  Have a great day.

Hal

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,145 Views)

Glad we got it figured out!

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,130 Views)