Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial communication with N-Control unit

Hi,

I'm trying to control this unit using serial communication, but I'm not quite sure where to start. The link of the unit is as follows: http://www.n-controls.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/9x_Series_Manual_E.310114558.pdf

Thanks,

Andrea

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,116 Views)

Start reading page 15.  It gives all of the serial port settings and then goes into the command set.

What language are you using?  Assuming LabVIEW, look in the example finder (Help->Find Examples) and search for Simple Serial Write Read.  It is not a great example, but will get you started.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,107 Views)

Okay, I think that helps ... So I'm looking at the file, "Simple Serial.vi", I've changed the baud rate to 38400, data bit to 8, parity to 'none', stop bits to 1.0 and flow control to 'none'. I'm trying to send the command :3012800,5000,6000<CR> as seen on p.16 (controlling motor 3). Not really successful, not sure if all the settings are correct.

What's meant by what language I'm trying to use? I'm trying to control this through LV, using the commands in the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,081 Views)

@AndreaD wrote:

I'm trying to send the command :3012800,5000,6000<CR> as seen on p.16 (controlling motor 3). Not really successful, not sure if all the settings are correct.

Post your VI.  My guess is you are doing the carriage return wrong.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,078 Views)

Here is my VI file 

Thanks, 

Andrea 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,074 Views)

Yep, my suspicion was correct.  Instead of having "<CR>", you need "\n" when the string in in the slash codes.  When the manual uses <CR> it is a visual representation of a Carriage Return.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,069 Views)