Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running two different LabView programs with two different versions of LabView

Dear sir,

How are you?

May I ask if I can install two different versions of LabView (5.1 and 8.5) in the same computer,
and run two different LabView programs of two different versions at the same time?

Thank you very much for your precious answers!
Regards,
Shu-chen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,624 Views)

You can do that but these programs will not see each other.

e.g., a global variable will not work between these two programs but will be two different globals..

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,622 Views)

Hi Shu-chen,

You can definitely do so--however, you cannot run gloabal variables, remote panels or any other communication medium between the programs. To acheive that they have to be in the same version.

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,598 Views)
The biggest issue, imho, is that you can only have a single set of drivers installed. You might want to pick which drivers to install. For example, leave your existing DAQ driver and install just DAQmx for use with 8.5.
Message 4 of 10
(4,586 Views)

I would like to comment on that. You can enable driver support for different versions of LabView. However, they have to be reinstalled for each version--each installation lets you enable support for a single version. I hope that answers your question.

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,565 Views)

Dear all,

I'm facing the same problem - I'd like to use versions 6.0 and 8.2 in parallel. I'm running two Keithley instruments with some shared drivers. Please could you expand on how you can enable support for these drivers for both versions of LabVIEW? I

Many thanks,

Jenna

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,191 Views)

copy the part in instr.lib to the other instr.lib

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,172 Views)

But for the hardware drivers, I don't think there is a version of VISA (or NI-488) that is compatible with both versions of LabVIEW that you have.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,163 Views)

I have a doubt.

What if i am using LV 8.0 and 8.2 at the same time. Both vis (One per one version) are trying to access same instrument (eg. GPIB1:24:INSTR). What will happen?

I am assuming Whoever accesses the GPIB instrument first will keep going. The other late comer VI will give an error saying "Resource alreay in use".

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards,

Muthuraman S

Regards,
Muthuraman
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,110 Views)

For s erial port you are right, for gpib I'm not so sure, try it out!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,102 Views)