From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove 488 software windows 7

I have a GPIB board and a DAQ board installed in a Windows 7 PC. The GPIB board drivers have been corrupted, and the board is no longer recognized. I want to remove the software, board, reinstall sw, board. Which drivers listed in "National Instruments Software", should be removed (Control panel/Programs/Uninstall a program)? Are there any others besides NI-488.2 2.8.1? What about VISA related drivers; NI-VISA 5.0.3, Runtime 5.0.3, and Server 4.2?

Is the 'Repair' feature designed to successfully repair the 488 drivers? Which is the preferred alternative, remove and reinstall the drivers, or repair?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,939 Views)

Update: the software listed above was removed, and reinstalled (board removed), but with the same result. The NI board is listed under "other" in device manager.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,924 Views)

Hi Dekay,

What software did you remove and reinstall?  How does the device appear in your Windows Device Manager?  Have you checked to see that NI Device Loader has started?  You can do this by going to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>NI Device Loader and check to make sure that the status of the service is Started?

Kira T

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,917 Views)

The programs that were removed were NI-488.2 2.8.1, NI-VISA 5.0.3, NI-VISA Runtime 5.0.3, NI-VISA Server 4.2. The GPIB board is listed as "PCI Simple Communications Controller" under "Other devices" in Device Manager.  This is in a client's install in another country, so I don't have immediate access to the pc. I'll check for the Device Loader and get back to you. Is that normally loaded when the 488 software is installed? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,909 Views)

Hey Dekay,

You should have Device Loader installed, but if it does not start it causes problems with seeing devices in Measurements & Automation Explorer.

Kira T

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,888 Views)