Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 over TCPIP

Hello,

Is it possible to control an RS232 instrument attached to one PC from another via TCPIP?  Is it simply a case of getting the resource name correct?

I've tried

TCPIP::nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn::ASRL3::INSTR

no luck here!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,381 Views)

OK - I think I've found the correct addressing method but still no joy!

TCPIP0::nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn::COM3,488::INSTR

COM3,488 is the default SICL address for my serial port.  I can communicate with this instrument on the host PC with ASRL3::INSTR...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,378 Views)

SOLVED

I was using Agilent Visa and had forgotten that I needed to start the Remote IO server....duh!

Message 3 of 5
(3,364 Views)

steveb34 wrote:
> SOLVED
> I was using Agilent Visa and had forgotten that I needed to start the Remote IO server....duh!
>  
>  

Hi,

could you tell us what is the solution to control your instrument via
TCP/IP
in terms of :
- programming software on the remote client
- program on the server

Do you have to modify the local program to go remote ?

Thank you in advance ,

FG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,345 Views)

It's all pretty staright foward really.

1.  We're using Agilent Via and Agilent's Suite 14 - this is because we're using a parBERT which wont run with NI Visa.  Suite 14 provides a menu option that lets you start an I/O server - simply turn this on (theer's an option to start at boot-up which makes life easy).   The use their interface to add your RS232 instrument -in myt example the address was set to ASRL3::INSTR.

2. On th eremote PC we also use Suite 14, simply go through the process of adding a LAN instrument (it's all GUI driven and very straight forward when you're sitting in front of it) - this will tell you exactly how to address your remore instrument in VISA routines (whether Agilent's or NI's)....you can see the form in a previous note.

So it's all fairly straight forward...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,310 Views)