From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI GPIB card not indentified

I'm using a PCI-GPIB card that has been working in an 7 year old Vista PC. To test for a newer software version I moved the card to a 64bit Windows 7 PC (after installing the 14.0 drivers) where it worked fine. But after moving it back to the Vista PC (and the same problem appears now on the Win7 one) the card is not automatically identified anymore. It shows up as a PCI Simple Communications Controller with the Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1093&DEV_C8A1. After manually assigning the PCI-GPIB driver it shows up with the correct name and the device manager reports "The device is working properly". But in MAX it only appears as PCI-GPIB "c0000091" without any of the GPIB context menus. And of course the software using the GPIB devices doesn't detect them. Is there a way to get the card running properly again? Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,631 Views)

ESD protection when you were moving the card?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,613 Views)

Nothing special, just touching the ground connector next to the equipment before opening the PCs. I don't really have more available in the lab. Never had problems the other 10-15 times moving HDDs or PCI cards between systems.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,568 Views)
Proper ESD handling is to use a ground strap and placing the board inside an anti-static bag when moving it. Many places won't let you near electronics until you have taken and passed an ESD class. Really a fundamental process that must be followed. I also suspect the board is now damaged.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,563 Views)