Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-GPIB card is not visible by MAX and LabVIEW

I've installed PCI-GPIB card in my new Dell Precision 390 workstation (Windows XP, Dual Core CPU 2.66GHz, 4Gb RAM). All the drivers and LabVIEW 8.2 are installed too. In the Device Manager the card is visible, has all the resources assigned, etc. No problems whatsoever.

The problem is, that neither MAX nor LabVIEW do not see the PCI-GPIB. I tried to install it into another PCI slot, to install another card. Neither works. Did anybody have the same problem? It is really funny...

Best regards,

Mikhail Nagoga

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,470 Views)
Is it an NI card or from a different vendor?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,459 Views)
Thank you for the answer.

Both PCI-GPIB cards I tried were bought from NI. The youngest is three years old. I never had any problems with them in other computers.

Best regards,

Mikhail Nagoga
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,454 Views)
Hi Mikhail,

can please check the driver you have instaled and tell me about the versions. Did you install the NI-488 driver and did you install this before pluging the device to the computer?

Regards
TomBaum
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,423 Views)
Hi Tom,

Of course I installed the software first, the card afterwards. I changed PCI slots, exchanged cards, re-installed the driver. Compared the driver version and other details with my second LabVIEW workstation. Everything looks the same, slightly different memory ranges and IRQ.

Driver file: C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\nipalk.sys
Driver version: 1.12.0f0

Resources:
Memory range: EF9FB800-EF9FBFFF
Memory range: EF9FC000-EF9FFFFF
IRQ: 16
No conflicts

I really cannot understand why the PCB-GPIB card is present in Windows but NI-488.2 does not see it. The NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Wizard could not help either ("The Troubleshooting Wizard has detected that no GPIB interfaces are configured on your system...")

Best regards,

Mikhail Nagoga
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,413 Views)
Sorry to jump in on this, but a thought: do you by any chance have the Agilent I/O Libraries installed? I had a situation just like you described, and it was caused by the Agilent I/O Libraries. Agilent and NI being competitors it's not surprising that both believe they should be the only company from whom you get drivers. Reinstalling just the NI-488 stuff didn't work. I ended up uninstalling all the NI software and reinstalling it and then the card showed in MAX and LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,403 Views)
Nipalk.sys is not the driver for a gpib board. Open MAX and in the configuration window, expand the software listing and see what it says about NI-488.2.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,396 Views)
I have installed only software included in NI Developer Suite.

The workstation is new, only the basic software installed.

One of the main differences, excluding different chipset and CPU, is the HDD that is RAID 1 (Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller), but can it be the reason??? It must be completely transparant...

Is it possible to find out if a driver blocks the PCI-GPIB card from using by another program?

Mikhail Nagoga
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,392 Views)

@Mikhail wrote:
I have installed only software included in NI Developer Suite.

The workstation is new, only the basic software installed.

One of the main differences, excluding different chipset and CPU, is the HDD that is RAID 1 (Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller), but can it be the reason??? It must be completely transparant...

Is it possible to find out if a driver blocks the PCI-GPIB card from using by another program?

Mikhail Nagoga

But exactly what software did you install? Did you include the Drivers CD? Did you include the GPIB support from there? Since you say you have MAX on the pc, you should be able to see what drivers are installed.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 05-14-2007 10:40 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,388 Views)
hi all,
     With our GPIB card installed, can I simulate GPIB virtually or through any of the simulators???

If any of them have the answer then its highly appriciable.

Thanks & regards,
Vamsi
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,382 Views)