Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical Switch gives time out error

When I try to give the command, RCL1 (recall 1)to the optical switch (HP86060C) I get a timeout error using Instrument I/O assistant. (Visa status Code bfff0015)

When I give the same through MAX, I get "Before reading from the instrument, verify that the GPIB command you are sending is understood by your device and instructs it to place data in its output buffer.  For information on your device's command syntax, consult the instrument manufacturer's user documentation."
The instrument responds to *IDN in both the cases.
Also, the switch changes to the recall1 setting, although the output to the command is not read!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,975 Views)
You are getting this error on a Write Step or a Query and Parse Step? If you're getting it on a Query and Parse, then that's to be expected since the command does not tell the instrument to put any data in it's buffer. Not every command you send will have a response. For example, if you tell a DMM to setup for a voltage reading, the instrument will just do it and so you would use just a Write step. If you then tell the instrument to take a reading, the instrument will read the voltage and place the result in it's output buffer. For this, you would use a Query and Parse. Most newer instruments have a command syntax where anything that is followed by a question mark (*IDN?) tells the instrument to put something in the read buffer.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,973 Views)
Thank you so much. That was silly of me.. I went blindly by the rules without thinking. When I did a write it was perfect!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,969 Views)