From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No leading command

Hello,

I am trying to connect my Power Supply(Hameg 8142) over GPIB with my Computer.

I have connected everything right, but when I try to ''Scan for Instruments'' on the Measurement and Automation Explorer,

I get the Message: '' NO LEADING COMMAND''. I actually don't know what it means and hope, that someone here may help me.

Thank you for your Help.

Best Regards,

C-Dpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,621 Views)

That looks like the power supply just simply does not follow the SCPI standard and does not respond to the *IDN? request.  Are you still able to communicate with the power supply?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 10
(5,608 Views)

Hey C-Dog,

What is the current status?

Are you already come up with a solution?

Or do you need support?

Best Regards,

Jo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,517 Views)

Do you solve your problem? I encounted the same problem with same power supply (Hameg 8142).

Whatever commands send to it, I just get the message "ERROR: NO LEADING COMMAND!".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,083 Views)

This instrument does NOT follow the SCPI protocol.  View the manual here on the command format.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,060 Views)

I awared the SCPI command of HM8142 is not standard SCPI. I tried ID? instead of *IDN? to query the instrument ID, but it's not success.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,039 Views)

Did you add the Cr at the end of the string?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,036 Views)

I tried it before, but it's still the same. No leading command. Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,034 Views)

Hi

DO NOT ADD THE CHARACTERS "CR" but the single character Cr meaning carriage return.

The best you can do is to change the visibility mode of the string to display the Display Style.

The normal style only displays the readable characters, in \codes display mode you can type \r

to have the Cr I meant.

Sorry that I start in capitals but the carriage return character is character 13 in decimal and x0D in hex.

All translating to the same effect. Another possibility is to press enter but that translates into the character Line Feed that is value 10 in decimal and x0A in hex. Or \n in \codes display.

Try this again and don't be afraid to send your .vi instead of pictures of your vi.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 9 of 10
(3,032 Views)

Hi, thanks for pointing out the CR character meaning. I didn't aware of it.

My VI is now working!

Thank you very much 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,929 Views)