From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie gpib question

I hope this is not too stupid a question, but I want to start as simple as possible.

I control other (i.e., Tek, HP) GPIB-enabled instruments using a Prologix usb-to-GPIB

dongle and send ***simple ascii strings***. E.g., something like  ":channel1:input 50Ohm"

to set the input impedance of my HP scope. The Prologix dongle has a command  ++addr <n>

to direct commands to an instrument with  GPIB address n  where I have previously set the

address of the instrument with dip switches.

There are no "drivers" involved. I just send ascii strings to/from the addressed instrument.

I have a pxi frame with an 8212 card and a dmm card 4060. I want some help on a similar

scheme for talking to the dmm in the pxi frame.

1. How do I set the address of the frame?

2. Can I send/receive simple ascii strings to the addressed instrument using my Prologix converter?

Thanks so much!

Anxious to get started ...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(932 Views)

PXI instruments come with specific drivers and you have to use them to control them. Of course, you can implement a translator from GPIB to call specific driver APIs for the instrument.

To make it simpler, PXI chassis cannot work on their own, they would need a computer (either an embedded controller or an external computer connected over MXI). Though you have a GPIB card and DMM card, they can't operate without a computer to attach to. This attachment has to happen over the PXI bus (kind of PCIe slot) and not over GPIB.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(901 Views)