From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Max | Hardware Detection | Non NI Instruments

Hi,

When new NI hardware is connected, It will be listed in NI Max. 

• Will NI Max detects instruments from other vendors like Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Tektronix and so on? If not what are the cases where it doesn't detect?
  • Will I be able to add simulated instruments related to Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Tektronix and so on? 
  • Will NI Max detects the instrument connected to a PC independent of the port to which the instruments are connected to?
  • Finally, how will NI Max lists the connected instruments? Is it fine to rely on NI Max APIs to detect the connected hardware?

How is running an *IDN? command using VISA API different from using NI MAX APIs. Since testing these scenarios require real hardware I was not able to find it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,137 Views)

Hi MCKR_1009

• Yes, NI Max is able to detect instruments from other vendors such as Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Tektronix.
  • I have not personally added simulated instruments for other vendors. I have only personally done that with NI equipment. Often, I create a simulated non-NI instrument in my code and have some Boolean switch to signal "Hardware connected." If false, my code fakes the instrument.
  • I am not sure I understand this question. NI Max automatically detects the port.
  • NI Max is a very useful tool for detecting connected instruments. Lately, the software seems much slower. I've switched to use KeySight connections expert if I'm using the KeySight talker and NI Max if I'm using the NI talker.

As for the *IDN? command using NI Max, I view that as a quick sanity check debugging tool. It let's me make sure the instrument is connected.

I've attached a screenshot of my NI Max. I currently have three pieces of non NI hardware connected.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,088 Views)