Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 internal error 2705

I am attempting to install GPIB NI-488.2, but no sooner does the installation process start, then I get an "internal error 2705".  From what I can determine this has to do with not being able to tie a directory to a tree, but I cannot find a way to fix this problem.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,050 Views)

Hey nyhoopie,

Can you please provide me with some additional information about your issue? What version of 488.2 are you trying to install? What operating system are you running? You might also want to create an Error Log File for this installation so we can get a better picture of what is going on. Information on creating this file can be found here : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AB597E885DB7D16B86256E92006DB232

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,033 Views)

Thanks for the reply

The version I am using is 2.6.  My operating System is Windows XP Professioinal.  I have created and attached the error log per your request.  Hope to hear from you soon

Regards,

Mark aka NYHoopie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,021 Views)

Hey Mark,

I'd try upgrading your 488.2 driver to the latest version, which is currently 2.7 and can be found here : http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1240/lang/en

I'll start to take a look at that error log. Let me know what the results of the upgrade are, thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,996 Views)

Jason,

No luck w/rev 2.7.  Same error at the same time.  Did the error log show anything?

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,941 Views)

Sorry, I meant Justin.  Not sure where "Jason" came from.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,921 Views)

Hey Mark,

No problem about the name Smiley Happy

I've researched into this issue a bit more, and from what I've found normally this error is caused by the MSI installation file. Now, the strange thing is that the drivers we provide are tested to work across a variety of systems, so it doesn't make sense why our installation files aren't working on your machine. A couple more questions : 1) Can you take a screenshot of the exact error message you see, and post it here? 2) Do you have any other pieces of NI software installed on your computer? If so, what software? 3) Can you try and install a different, non 488.2 driver? NI-Serial is a relatively small driver, and can be found here : http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/535/lang/en  Try download this driver and installing, and see if you get the same error. 4) Do you have administrative priveleges on your machine?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,908 Views)

Justin,

Sorry about the delay, this is a part-time project and I work on it as time is available.  I attempted to download and execute the serial file you suggested, but could not.  I have attached screen shot captures of this and the 488.2 problem.  I have no other pieces of NI software on my PC.  This is my own personal home PC, so I have full administrative rights.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,857 Views)

Mark,

It seems like there's something wrong with your Windows Installer. You might want to take a look at this Microsoft article, and specifically Method 2 for reinstalling the Windows Installer package. Do you have any issues with any other .msi installation files?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,831 Views)