From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 driver for Mac OS is not working

Hi  - I'm trying to install NI-488.2 driver on a Mac to use GPIB-USB-HS to control an instrument with Matlab. But thus far, I'm unable to successfully use the driver. Here are further details:

• MacBook Air - 10.14.1 OS
  • NI-488.2 version 19.5 for macOS
  • Hardware to be used with GPIB-USB-HS

The installation completes successfully with no error messages. It creates a directory under Applications called, National Instruments. However, running Application -> NI-488.2 -> GPIB Explorer, I get an error message popup that says: "The attempted operation failed." If I run, Application -> NI-488.2 -> Troubleshooting Wizard, I get an error message popup that says: "The Ni-488.2 software is not correctly installed on your system. Please follow these steps: 1. Restart your system. 2. Reinstall the NI-488.2 Software. 3. Run the Troubleshooting Wizard again." I have tried to do this a couple of times, with no luck. I end up with the same error message and the status shows failure at "Ni-488.2 Software Presence Verified" step.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,736 Views)

So, let me ask another question as I'm still having issues.

Has anyone been able to successfully use GPIB-USB-HS with Mac OS 10.14?

If yes, could you please kindly mentioned the driver version used? And if any special steps were taken to install the driver? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,652 Views)

Yes it is very sad that NI is so lazy that they don't update the gpib ni4882 driver for mac.  It is  total disaster on Big Sur and NI does nothing but tell people to downgrade in their Mac to an older operating system.  Just pathetic and insulting to Mac users.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YIJsCAO&l=en-US

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,366 Views)