Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 does work on Windows XP Mode within Windows 7

Hello,

we have now although this problem and we need a solution. We still use 16-Bit Software, which runs only in XP-Mode under Windows 7 64-Bit. So weed need to install the GPIB-USB under the XP-Mode. I think in future more companies will have problems.

Please check this problem and help us to find a solutiion.

Best regards

Andreas Lindenthal

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 55
(4,123 Views)

The fact that you are running 16-bit software severely limits the migration paths that you can choose for your solution. NI-488.2 does not support 16-bit applications on anything newer than Windows XP. As you probably already know, 64-bit versions of Windows do not even provide a 16-bit subsystem.

The best long-term option would be to convert your application into a 32-bit or 64-bit application. If that is not an option, then virtualization is your only option.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the USB support in Windows XP Mode seems to be less robust that what is found in other virtualization platforms such as VmWare. While National Instruments does not officially support the use of our USB products on virtualized operating systems, I know that many users successfully use the GPIB-USB-HS in VmWare, and that it absolutely will not work in Windows XP Mode. I would recommend you try running Windows XP using different virtualization software to see if that can solve your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 55
(4,110 Views)

Hello Jason,

thank you for quick reply.

But my problem is not so simple, because we deliver the 16-Bit and our customers use your GPIB cards. We plan to move the next years, but this takes time.

Yes the VmWare has no problems.

And this it was I not unterstand. Your are the number one at selling the GPIB-Cards and we told every customer to buy your cards. Your cards are not cheap, So I think we can request the best support. Why doesen't look your development engineers for a solution. It could be that only one setting is not correct. The virtualisation comes more and more.

So please help us and send this problem to the R&D department.

Thank you very much.

Andreas Lindenthal

Message 13 of 55
(4,101 Views)

Jason, I am using Win7 using my legacy software, but it is a pain jumping back and forth between Virtual XP and Win7 with some legacy programs.  National Instruments should utilize it's resources to make GPIB work from Virtual XP as our company has bought hundreds of GPIB cards and now USB hardware as well as other products from your company.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 55
(4,092 Views)

@JohnPM wrote:

Jason, I am using Win7 using my legacy software, but it is a pain jumping back and forth between Virtual XP and Win7 with some legacy programs.  National Instruments should utilize it's resources to make GPIB work from Virtual XP as our company has bought hundreds of GPIB cards and now USB hardware as well as other products from your company.

John-

I am trying to understand your request, but I need some clarification about your statements. You said that "it is a pain jumping back and forth between Virtual XP and Win7," but also that NI "should utilize it's resources to make GPIB work from Virtual XP." From your post it isn't clear whether your situation is the same as  ALindenthal's or not. 

I am unsure whether you would like to be able to utilize GPIB from the "Windows 7 XP-mode", or if you are currently using GPIB with other virtual machines, and are looking for a different solution.

Could you provide more detail regarding your application, and what is currently not working for you? Pertinent details include whether your application is 16-bit or 32-bit, and whether you are running on Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bt.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 55
(4,074 Views)

Jason,

YES I would like to utilize GPIB from WIn7 XP mode!  I am using the GPIB-USB-HS, but our customers use the GPIB-PCI or GPIB-AT cards. I am using Win7 64bit. I am working on 32-bit software but some of our legacy software consist of both DOS 16-bit and 32 bit Windows. 

I can make some of our software work on WIn7 GPIB alone, but there are a lot of 3rd party software that our company uses that only work on XP.  The COST to upgrade or update this software is very great. What good is Win7 using XP Mode if we need to but can't run from XP mode to access GPIB?  Let National Instruments discuss with Microsoft about this matter.

Message 16 of 55
(4,062 Views)

I too have the same problem using GPIB-USB-HS controller on a PC (32-bit Windows 7 OS) with Virtual Windows and Virtual XP Mode installed.

I found out that the GPIB-USB-HS controller is detected in the host PC (Windows 7 32 bit) but not in the Virtua;l PC (Windows XP Mode).

The GPIB-USB-HS controller does not appear in the National Instruments Devices and Interfaces list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History:

I was able to install the NI-488.2 2.8 driver and the NI-VISA 4.6.1 successfully.

The USB port is working and detected in Windows XP virtual Windows while a USB device is connected.

Unfortunately, when I connected a GBIB-USB-HP controller's USB connector to the same USB port and its GPIB port to an instrument, I am seeing a yellow exclamation point in the Device Manager's "National Instruments GPIB Interfaces".

When I right-clicked, the GPIB-USB-HS Properties show "This device cannot start (Code 10).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HasNational Instruments made an effort to discuss this issue with Microsft?

If not, it's pathetic.

AudiophilePhil

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 55
(3,903 Views)

AudiophilePhil,

This is a known issue with virtualized machines, specifically XP Mode, which is not a supported environment.  Some customers have had success with VMware, which is a potential workaround for you.  They installed the drivers on both the physical machine and the virtual machine.  I understand that this may not be ideal, but it can get you going.

Best,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

Message 18 of 55
(3,869 Views)

Testing Windows 7 here also, and have an application that won't even install on Windows 7.  I believe it's DOS and am trying to determine, but not certain yet.  The manufacturer says it definitely won't run on Windows 7, and recommends trying XP Mode.  Unfortunately I can't get my PCI GPIB card to function in XP Mode, and from what I've read on this board I may as well give up on that.  I do have USB GPIB "boards" also, but again it sounds as if that's not an option.  Another thing ... the applications we're allowed to use are tightly controlled, especially with respect to Operating Systems, and I highly doubt if I'd even be allowed to install or run VMware.  I don't blame NI for this issue, seems to be more a Microsoft problem in my humble opinion.

The reason I began looking for help here, is that I have the GPIB card and drivers successfully installed on the Windows 7 platform, and wanted a way to access them from the virtual XP Mode application.  Please advise if something comes available.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 55
(3,790 Views)

Follow-up:  The application in question is "16-bit."

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 55
(3,770 Views)