Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxtek RQCM Communication via RS232

Hello,

I believe I'm posting this in the proper section, but just let me know if there is one more suited for it.

I'm currently using an Maxtek RQCM (made by Inficon) to gather frequency changes from a quartz crystal. In the owners manual (listed below) it has a section on computer interface in which it says that I can talk to the RQCM by using either a Chr$(255) and Chr$(254) header or an FF or FE header (which I just found out is hex). I talked to an NI tech support guy yesterday and he said he wasn't familiar with this language, but he walked me through how to use MAX and the VISA test panel to check if I'm able to communicate with the RQCM.

I found out that this RQCM does not have a driver for Labview, nor a does the company have a Labview program already made for it. So because of that I'm not too surprised tha when I used the IDN?/ in the VISA test panel, the RQCM didn't understand the command. It sent back that Hex 0xBFFF0015 error. I tried using some commands from the owners manual and even got someone from Maxtek to send me an example command =>

0xFF 0xFE 0x01 0x00 0x00 0xFF

which he said would return a 38 byte message, however when I try to send this to the RQCM in the VISA test panel, it returns the same error.

The NI Support guy said I should try to search the forums and then post to see if anyone has attempted making a Labview for the Maxtek RQCM, so that's what I'm really looking for, but if anyone has any suggestions on what's going on here, I'd be all ears and open to hear them

- Thanks

RQCM Owners Manual:

http://www.inficon.com/download/en/maxtek%20crystal%20operating%20manual.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,870 Views)

today I found out that perhaps I need to turn on the RTS/CTS flow control settings on the configuration tab. After doing so I tried various commands and everything keeps returnning a time out error.

I know that many times there can be a problem with the RS232 cable, and all these errors make me think that there may be something wrong with it, but if that were the case then the RQCM's own software wouldn't be able to run and collect data on the quartz crystal either. The RQCMs software works fine though. Below are a list of my settings:

Baud rate: 19200

data bits: 8

stop bits: 1

parity: none

Flow Control: RTS/CTS

Transmit Buffer: 0

Recieve Buffer: 0

Input CTS: Asserted

Output RTS: Unknown (shaded gray and can't change)

Timeout: 10,000 ms

I/O protocol: Normal

Termination Methods: Send End on Writes

Not sure what else info I can give to characterize my settings

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,845 Views)

Hi cbreaux6,

I am trying to communicate with MAXTEK with a RS 232 cable. I have installed the data logging software given with MAXTEK and have put the correct parameters on my COM1 (baud rate, bits, etc...) but it is impossible to communicate with it. I have this error :" No Clear To Send signal. Check computer connection to RCQM and COMM port setting."

Do you have any suggestion ?

I am currently downloading NI VISA and MAX to find out if I need any driver or other software.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,966 Views)

Hey Clarus,

If cbreaux6 doesn't get back to you, you may want to create a new forum regarding your question so that more people will be able to view your error!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,954 Views)