Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW, GPIB-USB-HS

My LabVIEW program hangs up on one of my Read GPIB steps which causes the active light to go out. From there I get no usable data. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,638 Views)

A lot of ideas but what is the real problem.

Did you check that the command is Ok?

Did you get a timeout error?

What instrument are you talking too?

Is there enough power?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,629 Views)

I am taking a homodyne laser measurement. My problem seems to be between an o-scope, the GPIB, and a LabVIEW program. I have reloaded the newest driver code for the GPIB. I doublechecked that I am using the proper interface cables. I have viewed the LabVIEW block diagram while it was running and noticed that it gets hung up on one of the steps where it is supposed to read the GPIB. It is on that step, the GPIB active light goes out and I get start getting errors and unusable data. My assumption is that one of the blocks is not working in LabVIEW but I do not like to assume things.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,628 Views)

Is that the first action on gpib for that instrument?

If yes: is the address of the instrument correct? probably yes. So is the command correct for that instrument?

if not check this.

I have the feeling it is a wrong command, or the instrument is not in a state to return data.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,617 Views)

Thank you for that advice. It is the third action, but second read. I will open up the block within the block of my inhereted program. I will double check the commands from there. Thank you again for the advice. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,615 Views)

I have attached the vi in this email if you want to look at it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,573 Views)

Hi

just a few remarks that come up on a late Friday evening

Why are you using the gpib functions, 

I'm stuck to VISA because it has more to offer for other busses also.

The only thing we need gpib for is the low level acces like GET (group execute trigger) that is not available in visa.

And I don't understand why you set the file position instead of just adding to the file.

Message 7 of 8
(3,542 Views)

I am sorry. I thought that was the code. I am picking up the project from someone else. That is why I am using a GPIB. I will looking into just using a VISA. The instruments being monitored are the O-scope and Lock-in.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,529 Views)