Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 and Agilent 82357A

My job is to control a multimeter (Agilent 3458A) with an Agilent 82357A GPIB controller. The 82357A is connected to a PC with Windows 7  & LabVIEW 2011 installed.

1) After Keysight IO Library installed, 82357A can be found in Windows Device Manager.

2) I can communicate (sending commands or query) with the multimeter in NI VISA Interactive Control.

When I program the multimeter in LabVIEW with VISA, VISA write (sending command) is fine, but VISA read failed (the return string was empty and 0xBFFF0015 error occurred).

Any suggestion?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,321 Views)

It looks that there is no termination character in "TARM SGL".

Right click on the string constant and then select "'\' Codes Display".

Then, add term char like "TARM SGL \r"

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,307 Views)

You should look into the LabVIEW driver for the 3458a.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=36A7F6A5AF553389E0440003BA7CCD...

The 3458a is a beast of a DMM.  It has more functionality than any other DMM produced at the time, and is still better than a lot of available DMMs.  You really need to study the manual to get it to work properly for you however!!!

For one thing there are many, many combinations of trigger and trigger arm states for the 3458a.  Only some combinations are allowed and other will result in errors.  Since you aren't setting the trigger conditions before the ":TARM SGL" command you might actually be causing an error and the instrument will thus not take a reading causing the timeout error when you try to read the measurement.  Try reading the error status before reading the measurement.  If you have an error then make sure you configure all the trigger settings properly.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,274 Views)