Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there VISA libraries for ARM?

Mike,

I do have the NI-USB-GPIB hardware, and the software, however, I have (too) many research projects going on.  I will try to get this to work in the next week, but please understand, I am a novice when it comes to Linux/Raspian, as well as Python, although I am learning as fast as I can due to the extreme usefulness and recent speed and performance improvements with the most recent 11/25/2016 image of the Pixel/Raspian/Jessie for the RPi.

Due to the large number of videos and tutorials available for using Python on the Raspberry Pi (by the way, the Pi stands for Python!) for data acquisition, I have seen how powerful it is in acquiring data of all kinds, including from the Arduino thru the serial port.

On an encouraging note, I downloaded the Arduino IDE on the X86 thumbdrive version of Pixel/Raspian/Jessie, and indeed, I could immediately take data from a temperature and humidity sensor that I already had downloaded the code thru, so it is clear that this X86 version of Raspian will allow for data acquisition thru the USB port.  I only have to get the NI-VISA for the X86 Linux and try to go thru the Py-VISA web page procedure to load and access it, then I can test to see if I can communicate with the NI-GPIB-USB-HS.  I am working at home right now, but when I go in to my university where I work in the next couple of day, I will try to remember to hunt down one of the GPIB adapters and try it.  Would you send me your NI email address?

Thewans

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(3,265 Views)

Any updates on this thread?

I think I'm hoping to do something similar: I'd like to control a tektronix scope via TCP/IP from a raspberry pi.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(2,986 Views)

Hi k_purden

I think we are working in same idea.

I'm developing a station based on a ras pi 3 which controls some instruments via ethernet (LXI). (No computer, neither laptops,.. JUST RP3)

I did not install a VISA but I have pyvisa, pyvisa-py, ivi, and vxi11 (Honestly, i do not know why i installed ivi). At the moment, I'm able to ask *IDN?, the answer is right. I know, it is not a huge achievement, but it is a beginning 😄   

Have you got any progress on tour side?

Marta

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(2,766 Views)

I have made it about as far as you have. I am using pyvisa with pyvisa-py and can send/receive basic commands. 

My only issue is that the pyvisa-py backend is not very consistent. Sometimes it adds or removes certain characters, for example termination characters. The program sometimes hangs because a particular command hasn't been terminated, or I end up with a garbage response becaus it's added random white space to messages.

I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere, but I haven't yet figured out what. Haven't dedicated too much time to it recently, kinda busy with other things

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(2,737 Views)

Hi

I have managed get Python working on a RaspberryPi 3 with a Tektronics TDS 2014C but would like to use mono

I built the National Instruments\NI-VISA\Examples\.NET\19.0\SimpleAsynchronousReadWrite

Transfered files to the RaspberryPi

National Instruments\NI-VISA\Examples\.NET\19.0\SimpleAsynchronousReadWrite

using X I get the window this is as far as I have got I am not a expert in C# but have a lot of code I can reuse and dlls so if I can get this working instead of Python it would be very usefull. I actually just need cli so if I can not get it working I intend to use bash scritps with a mixture of python and mono executables.

My errors so far looks like I need visa32.dll now

Ivi.Visa.VisaException: NI-VISA implementation not found. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: visa32.Dll
at (wrapper managed-to-native) NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.NativeMethods.OpenDefaultRM32(NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.SafeVisaHandle&)
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.NativeMethods.OpenDefaultRM (NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.SafeVisaHandle& sesn) [0x00007] in <3f6de53afe50450bbc090fe115a1e63e>:0
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.NativeMethods.viOpenDefaultRM (NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.SafeVisaHandle& sesn) [0x00000] in <3f6de53afe50450bbc090fe115a1e63e>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.NativeMethods.viOpenDefaultRM (NationalInstruments.Visa.Internal.SafeVisaHandle& sesn) [0x00015] in <3f6de53afe50450bbc090fe115a1e63e>:0
at NationalInstruments.Visa.ResourceManager..ctor () [0x00006] in <3f6de53afe50450bbc090fe115a1e63e>:0
at NationalInstruments.Examples.SimpleAsynchronousReadWrite.SelectResource.OnLoad (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00001] in <e19ea56afa3048c5881fde69604fdd43>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00022] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00029] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.Windows.Forms.TextBox'.

Message 15 of 15
(1,821 Views)