From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instrument not found

Hello! I've been interested in this thread becouse i have the similar problem.

I've used my PCI-GPIB with Agilent 8563EC for a long time on my home system. One day i bought USB-GPIB-HS interface which didn't worked with my old version of MAX. After i've installed new version of

MAX (4.4.1) from the box with device, my PCI and USB adapters stoped recognizing Instruments. Both of them find 996 fake devices all with the same Primary Address = 0 on GPIB bus and cann't identify them.

When i'm trying to press button 'Communicate with Instrument' MAX gives me error "iberr = ENOL ENOL indicates that no instrument was detected at the specified address.Verify that your instrument is powered on and properly connected to your GPIB interface."

But i know the really address of my device, so i sometimes can talk with it wia IBIC. But even if it happens (not all the time),instrument often jnly can listen to my ibwrt "xxx" and cannot send me answer.

I suppose this is an error of new driver (now it is 2.6 with MAX 4.5). I hope somebody helps me. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(1,814 Views)

Just a wild guess, try to slow down the bus by changing the handshake speed.

In MAX you can go to the options of the gpib device (I don't have max with a gpib interface at home so please check the exact naming yourself).

Almost on the bottom of the properties you have the option that I beleive defaults to 500ns and can be set to 2 us and some third high speed value.

Check the slowest one and try again.

It is not that these machines are slow but if your cabling is long and setup times become important, it can make a difference 

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(1,800 Views)
I've tried to set theese options to the slowest values but nothing happened ;( You can see it on attached printsrcreen. But anyway - hartelijk dank!
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(1,793 Views)
Sorry! Forget to add the picture )))
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(1,791 Views)

Hi

This is a bit too much please change only the bustiming.

You also should try another usb port. or add extra power via a selfpowered hub. 

The USB HS gpib is using a lot of power on the usb slot.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(1,784 Views)

Albert, your guess about usb power is very well, becouse i've fulled ALL usb ports on my home PC. At work i haven't such problems becouse AC\DC adapter is more powerfull and there are much less devices connected. I've tried to connect USB_HS to my monitor, which has a hub. So it had all neсessary power, but nothing happened. I also changed all values besides bus timing. No results.

And maybe I'm repeating but: I can sometimes communicate with my Agilent. So GPIB device is working.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(1,777 Views)

Hi

Working but not stable...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(1,759 Views)

Anyway I've already tryed all your decisions but with no results. Like always after first time i press the button "Scan for Instruments" there are "!No Instruments found"

error and after the second one - the picture I've send you. So i suppose that it may be real address conflict? Coz TroubleShout utility tells me that PCI-GPIB is OK and USB-HS conflicts 

with something in my system and advices me to look on Win Configuration Manager. Even then i left only one USB-HS it tells about conflict.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(1,744 Views)
Today I've installed ni488.2 v2.6 on notebook were OS is clean and power of usb-bus is sutable. No result at this time again. With any bus-timing.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(1,674 Views)

HI

What os are you using?

I found this under drivers:

NI-488.2 for Windows Version 2.5 is the latest driver offering from National Instruments. Every attempt has been made to maintain backward compatibility with the installed base of existing NI-488.2 applications. 

so how about 2.6?

Message 20 of 26
(1,661 Views)