Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI driver transport

Hello, I building a program where I wish to have the user select an instrument (in this case an arbitrary waveform generator) from a list of models (DS345, Tektronics AFG31xxx, etc) and point me to the correct connected device (GPIB address).  I have done this successfully in the past using VISA drivers, but one of the devices that I want to be able to use only has an IVI driver.  Therefore, I decided to try IVI out.  I created a polymorphic VI (within a project) that switches between the different IVI drivers/classes to allow for the correct operation, but I cannot figure out how to propagate this to an offline machine.

With VISA, I can either install the driver or copy over the correct VIs.  With IVI there are no offline drivers and the .dll does not copy over correctly.  The way that I copied it was have LabVIEW create a copy of the project and include all dependencies and then copied the resulting folder to a new computer.  When attempting to run the program on a new computer, the .dll is not recognized either in the copied folder or the default directory on the new computer.

Looking at the default directory on the original computer, I see a number of .rc and .mnu files that did not get copied into the project folder.  Do I need these files as well or is there something else that I am missing being new to IVI drivers?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(931 Views)

Reviewing the folder this morning, the main file is a .llb not a .dll.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(896 Views)

Hi

Did you instal the IVI environment just like you did with the VISA environment?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(891 Views)

Sort of.  I believe that that is the problem.  With VISA, the environment is a collection of individual VIs that can be linked to in a project and when the project is copied, the files go with it.  With IVI, the environment is a .llb that is a collection of VIs that know where they are installed.  Because they know where they are installed, I cannot move the file to a different computer and it still work.

The IVI drivers that are available from sine.ni.com require the computer to be connected in order to install the driver.  I have computers that I cannot connect to the internet but would like the drivers on.  With VISA this is no problem as long as the necessary files are linked in the project.  With IVI the .llb or .dll does not work correctly after copying the project.

I am looking for how to move the IVI environment to an offline computer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(884 Views)

IVI is not just an llb but it also has to register certain DLLs with the IVI manager and without the proper IVI driver installer, you cannot get it to work.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(872 Views)