Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI driver installation

Solved!
Go to solution

Beginners problem!!!

I'm trying to evaluate SignalExpress 2011 and specifically want to acquire data from a Tektronix TDS3034 scope.

I've tried to installed the tkds30xx IVI driver and it appears under Driver Sessions in Measurement & Automation Explorer.

When I start SignalExpress, in the Channel View it states No devices available, which I interprete as it can't see the oscilloscope. The TDS3034 is connected and I can access it from the same computer from the browser and take a screen image.

When I select  Add Step -> Acquire Signals -> IVI Acquire -> IVI Scope Acquire, obviously no device is found, but in the Step Setup -> IVI session name, I can select tkds30xx, but get the following:

Configuration Error

Error -1073807343 occurred at ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi

Possible reason(s):
Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

Complete call chain:
     ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi
     ivi_subScopeGetReleaseSession.vi
     ivi_subScopeInitializeData.vi
     ivi_IVIScopeInvokeCommand.vi

I assume I need to configuration SignalExpress properly, but searching all the forums, discussions etc I've found nothing on this subject and following the help configuration hasn't enlightened me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,125 Views)

Hi!

You can get information about how to fix the error in this link:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8130049893D6461E86256F3B00461E1B?OpenDocument

I hope it was useful, and let me know if you are able to fix it!

Applications Engineer - Certified LabVIEW Developer & Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,089 Views)

Dear Jorge,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately even after following the provided link, and several associated links, I'm still unable to connect to the oscilloscope.

In MAX under IVI Drivers -> Driver Sessions I have tried numerous different names for a Resource Descriptor but none of them have resulted in me been able to connect to the scope. Just to clarify I'm trying to connect via the PC's Ethernet to the TDS3034. The Resource Descriptor that sounded the most promising TCPIP::ip_address:: INSTR didn't work, i.e. still get 'no devices available' in the Channel View. If it is possible to tell me what the correct Resource Descriptor for my scope using the tkds30xx IVI driver then at least I can eliminate that from the list of problems to solve.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,072 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GCC3

I know accessing the web page of the instrument generally means you have a good ethernet connection to the instrument but it doesn't use visa so you haven't fully rung things out.

In MAX select Devices and interfaces->Network Devices. Right mouse click and select create a new device. Select Auto detect. If the instrument is not shown here then make sure the Visa Passport for Ethernet and VXI-11 devices is enabled in Tools->Visa options. If your device is shown then go ahead and select it and make sure it gets added to the network devices list in the tree.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,068 Views)

Thanks cymrieg,

for some reason the 'Devices and Interface' link in my MAX wasn't there. I reinstalled the whole package and it appeared, then following your instructions everything seems to work, I can know acquire data from my oscilloscope in SignalExpress.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,032 Views)