Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with instrument drivers.

I am working on project in which i need to communicate with several instruments. I have downloaded the instrument drivers from NI website, but when i am copying those drivers to the folder where i am saving my project, i am getting that yellow danger( resolve conflict) sign with every .lvlib file. how should i add the drivers so that there is no conflict.

i also want to know is it compulsory to install the drivers, can we use them without installing.

Below i am attaching the image of the conflict i am getting.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,762 Views)

You really should be leaving the files in the <LabVIEW>\instr.lib directory.  The installer just puts these files where they should be accessed.  Also by leaving them in the instr.lib directory, they should be in your palettes too.

What I typically do for these is just use them as they are installed and document somehow what version of what driver you are using.  It is also common to put the driver installer in your source control just to make sure.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,753 Views)

Thanks crossrulz for your reply

use them as they are installed- by this line you mean to say that i should use all the drivers from palette or i am not getting.

one more question i want to ask here, if i install all the drivers in driver palette use them in making vi and then if i want use the same program on some other computer than do i need to install all the drivers again in that system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,749 Views)

Yes, you should use them in the palette.

To use the drivers inside of LabVIEW, you will need to install them.  If you are creating an executable for your other computer, then you do not need to install the drivers.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,742 Views)

For installing instrument driver do we just need to copy and paste the drivers in <LabVIEW>\instr.lib folder or is there some other procedure because i have copied the folders in <LabVIEW>\instr.lib folder but in palette although i am getting the option of every instrumetn but no vi is present under them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,735 Views)

Ritu,

Here are the installation instructions: http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/inetinst.htm 

Most instrument driver .zip files already contain relative path information. The .zip file should be extracted directly to the <LabVIEW>\instr.lib directory.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,729 Views)