Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How-to obtain the IP Address of a GPIB-ENET/100 from C#.NET

Hello,

I'm using C#.NET 2.0 and the NI.NET drivers to communicate with my GPIB device using a GPIB-ENET/100 box.
As I will be communicating with multiple devices each on a separate GPIB-NET, I would like to know the IP Address of the GPIB-ENET.

Is this possible? And if so, how?

Thanks,

Frido.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,857 Views)

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your post on our message board. Please find the following knowledge base about this subject; http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3265

You can assign a certain IP (fixed) adress to a GPIB ENET device. The IP adress is connected to the device name which can be called in your software application. Please use the configuration utility.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me,

Martijn S

NINL

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,803 Views)

Hi Martijn,

First of all, thanks for responding.
I don't think my question was clear enough:

I am looking for ways to resolve an IP address to a device name. Preferably using the NI.NET drivers.

Thanks,

Frido.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,785 Views)

Dear Sit,

I'm sorry for the time it took to come back on your question.

The only way to assign the IP adress to the device name is in the measurement and automation explorer. You will be able to put in a device name, or to use the IP adress as a name. Please refer to the following knowledge base; http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0AB7B2327671DB2C86256F23005BAEA4

As far as I can say (but i'm not a .NET user) this is the only way.

Best regards,

Martijn

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,715 Views)

OK, here's the situation.
If have a data system that stores instruments and their IP-addresses.
On the network there are multiple GPIB/ENet devices each having connected one instrument.

At a certain point in time, the data system instructs to connect to a certain instrument knowing only the IP address.
The NI driver only lets me connect using a GPIB address. How do I know if I'm connected to the correct instrument, knowing only the IP address?

Hope this clarifies my question ...

Thanks,

Frido.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,713 Views)
Dear Sir,

Please find the following example (it is not a .net example, but is will give you a idea). The ENET GPIB card is able to send a ID tag to the GPIB device. The instrument will identify itself. I hope this example will help you further;

Have a great weekend!

Martijn
Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,704 Views)
Dear Martijn,

The example does nothing with IP addresses. Only GPIB-addresses.
The only reference made to "IP-address" is that the example will only work when you have succesfully configured the GPIB/ENet by assigning it an IP Address using MAX.

Have a nice weekend!

Frido.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,702 Views)